[StBernard] Fines - not so fine?

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Feb 17 01:33:04 EST 2007

I was just wondering why everyone keeps thinking that St. Bernard's air and
land are more toxic then were you are living now. St. Bernard may have been
toxic before the storm, who knows. Have any of you tested the air and soil
where you have decided to move too. I know this may sound stupid, but it is
not any more stupid then what you are saying. If you want to leave the
parish, then leave, but to try to convey that you are leaving because of
health that is ridiculous.

You need to take a look at where you are living. What was located there
before you got there? What is up-stream from you? What is floating in the
air? What is growing behind your walls? Yes, St. Bernard looks bad. Yes,
we had an oil spill, but to say you are going to get sick or sicker if you
stay is crazy.

I think everyone needs to make the right decision for their family and
should not put a label on others who do not agree with them.

God bless

Wrench and/or Jer:

My husband and I share your feelings. And, my 14 year old daughter is
devastated that we did not return to rebuild in the parish. All she can see
is that her friends have returned to the place where she was born and grew
up and she wants to be there too.

My heart breaks for her --- but I won't change my mind based on that. I'd
rather her despise our relocation than to risk her health and safety. I too
am praying for the best -- I love the parish and thought we'd retire and
spend the rest of our days there. But not like this. At 50, ten years or
so is significant. Good luck to you.