[StBernard] Farming a new industry for Louisiana and the nation

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Feb 26 21:25:47 EST 2007

Farming a new industry for Louisiana and the nation

A Column by Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco

A future of American energy independence, clean air and strong rural economies is taking root in sugar cane fields across Louisiana. Our state is now on its way to being a national leader in providing an alternative energy source to meet America's demand for clean fuel.

Last week, I participated in the historic groundbreaking of a new facility in Jennings operated by Celunol Corporation. This facility is designed to produce 1.4 million gallons of cellulosic ethanol per year from crops grown right here in Louisiana. It is the first plant of its kind built in our nation and part of my aggressive agenda to grow our economy and generate good jobs.

Only a few short years ago ethanol was seen as an economic booster only for Midwestern farmers. With the promise of increased corn prices and new markets, corn derived ethanol was being touted as a way to help the farm economy while reducing our nation's dependence on foreign oil.

Today, ethanol has moved beyond the "corn belt." The Energy Policy Act of 2005 helped make this a reality and included significant incentives for developing and commercializing cellulosic ethanol.

This legislation makes it attractive to construct new ethanol facilities in states like Louisiana that have sugar rich fuel stock like sugarcane bagasse (biomass remaining after sugarcane stalks are crushed to extract their juice), wood chips and fiber cane.

We are growing the economy of rural Louisiana while protecting the quality of our environment.

To improve air quality and achieve the ambitious renewable fuels goals outlined by the President and Congress, we must increase ethanol development and Louisiana is up to the challenge. By contributing this "new" ethanol, we are protecting our environment and our national security.

Last year, at my urging, the legislature enacted a measure to establish minimum ethanol and bio-diesel content standards for gasoline and diesel. These standards only go into effect when there is enough production of ethanol and other renewable fuel to make sure prices remain competitive. This is good for our economy, good for our farmers, and puts our reliance on producing fuel here at home instead of in foreign countries.

Our nation's effort to diversify its fuel supply is Louisiana's gain. By demonstrating this technology and commercializing cellulosic ethanol, Louisiana will show our unique ability to supply America's energy needs. We will no longer be referred to as simply an oil and gas state, but instead as the state that started the cellulosic ethanol revolution.

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org