[StBernard] Levees.org: We're now 10,000 supporters!

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Feb 28 22:03:19 EST 2007

Celebrating 10,000 members with a brand new website!

Our new website has a whole new look and feel. And the homepage now
features videos that you can share with your family and friends
<http://www.levees.org/> . Just click on the "share" button!

Right now, we're featuring easy-to-view segments by Hurricane Authority Ivor
Van Heerden on the need for a Levee Commission to investigate the flood
protection failures in metro New Orleans.

Next week, we'll release the first in a series of Public Service
Announcement videos featuring Harry Shearer and other national celebrities
that you can - with the click of a mouse - send to others!

Check out the video and the new site at www.levees.org
<http://www.levees.org/> .

More good news:

The editors of the New York Times recently commented on Congress's strange
reluctance to waive the Stafford Act for New Orleans and Louisiana. Simply
put, this means waiving a law that Louisiana must give a quarter for every
75 cents that the federal government provides for rebuilding. The New York
Times asserts a waiver is reasonable since the federal government waived the
law for 32 other disasters since 1985. Oddly, the Bush Administration has
not acted despite the fact that Katrina and Rita wreaked roughly $6,700
worth of damage per capita in Louisiana.

The editors point out that, "This inaction is particularly surprising, given
that such a large proportion of the damage can be attributed to the failure
of the federal levees that were supposed to protect the New Orleans area."

A major paper points out that New Orleans was destroyed not by a big bad
storm but because human mistakes were made in the construction of the
federal levees. This is a reason for gladness because it shows the paper's
understanding that the citizens of metro New Orleans are not looking for
handouts, but rather for what they reasonably deserve.

<http://www.levees.org/>

Check out Levees.Org's new website! <http://www.levees.org/>

Thank you,
Sandy Rosenthal