[StBernard] Congress continues swift action on Governor Blanco's agenda; House Committee moves Hurricanes Katrin

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Mar 1 23:44:41 EST 2007

Congress continues swift action on Governor Blanco's agenda; House Committee moves Hurricanes Katrina and Rita Federal Match Relief Act forward

BATON ROUGE - Two key components of Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco's federal recovery agenda moved forward today in Congress as the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure approved the Hurricanes Katrina and Rita Federal Match Relief Act of 2007, introduced by Majority Whip James Clyburn (D-SC).

"Congress is sticking by its commitment to make recovery from Hurricanes Katrina and Rita a priority by moving this critical piece of legislation forward," Governor Blanco said. "Less than a month ago I asked this new Congress to stand with Louisiana by advancing my recovery agenda, and already we are seeing progress. Congressman Clyburn's bill alone will lift a monumental burden our communities were forced to bear after the storms. I look forward to working with Louisiana's delegation, Donald Powell and the Administration, and the new Leadership to break through all federal barriers to our recovery."

The Hurricanes Katrina and Rita Federal Match Relief Act helps Louisiana communities in two ways. First, this legislation waives a provision of the Stafford Act which requires a 25 percent non-federal cost share for certain disaster assistance. Second, the legislation allows for cancellation of the required repayment of the Community Disaster Loans, granting Louisiana's cities and parishes an opportunity for the same forgiveness that other states received after 9/11, Hurricane Andrew, Hurricane Iniki and other major disasters.

Click here <http://www.gov.state.la.us/assets/docs/02.05.07%20LA%20Federal%20Recovery%20Agenda-Final.pdf> for Gov. Blanco's federal recovery agenda.

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org