[StBernard] Parish's emergency director is Marine

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Mar 12 01:48:22 EDT 2007

After reading about a new director, a few questions are begged: "Does this
make anyone out there anxious? Safe? Confident? Prepared? Is the leadership
prepared to tackle this upcoming Hurricane season orderly and thoroughly if
an evacuation is called (45 mph wind storm or greater with the tin cans
spotted throughout the parish)?"

We'll know more in the next 2.5 months because I attended the Emergency
Preparedness meeting a couple months before Katrina and can remember how
secure I felt for Season 2005 after attending. We all knew the drill: stay
away from downed power lines, evacuate if asked, don't walk in deep water
and get the sand bags. Now, we have a new director lined up and is the
parish as confident or more so than in 2005? Is the area prepared for "the
big one" (aka--storm of the century?" God knows we do hope so!

--jer--