[StBernard] interesting quotes

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Mar 15 23:05:16 EDT 2007

Have you heard these comments in the past few days:

Col Bedey, US Corps Engineers, WWL-TV at St. Bernard meeting of Southeast
LA Flood Control Authority while addressing the board last week, " I lay
awake at night worried about the levees and floodwalls on the IH-NC that
didn't fail."

Col. Wagenaar, US Corps Engineers, WWL Radio morning show on March 15
responding to Joey Difatta's phone call to the show about the concern that
the COE said it will not work on raising the levees and floodwalls that are
only El 10 or 11 that did not fail in the storm between Bayou Bienvenue Lock
westward to the IH-NC and along the IH-NC because it would be a waste of
money, " Well, since this is about to be made public anyway, I may as well
say, that we now have the analysis of the 100 year storm, the storm with the
1 percent chance each year, and the levees need to be 28 feet high, so the
only option is to build the floodgates, not raise the levees."

Please note, this may not be word for word because I jotted it down quickly,
but it's darn close to exact quotes. Col. Bedey, if you read this, I'm now
awake at night, too, as are quite of few us in Gentilly, 9th Ward, N.O. East
and St. Bernard. ddk