[StBernard] FIELD OF DREAMS

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Mar 15 23:06:26 EDT 2007

I must admit. As one whose organization met at the library:

If I might make a analogy to one man who cried because he had no shoes -
until he met another man who lacked feet.

I complained in the past because the library had few places to park - until
we lost the library which lost its place to meet.

--The library is needed in St. Bernard Parish. Kids are just content to make
use of only the computer although the written word has been scrolled,
scribed, emblazoned zillions of embodied words of the English language
(soon, unfortunately to be overcome by other nationalized languages within
this century) into print. While most folks darted off to school playgrounds,
I chose to spend my time at lunch in Church (in those days, we prayed and
the church doors were open to those who sought sanctuary) or in the school
library exhilarated by the written word of Mark Twain, the
Civil/Revolutionary War, and other classics as Julius Caesar). I can
remember one such book that caught my attention as a 9th grader and that was
Twain's Prince and the Pauper and Dickins - The Christmas Carol (an old book
with a 1898 rev.). I occasionally visit libraries as a result of upbringing
and remains my favorite place of refuge away from home.

Now the gist of reading has shifted from paper to data. Personally, I'm fond
of both, but the charm of the refuge and book shrine has transitioned from a
strong-weakside to one of a weak-strongside of the new Millennium where
computer games have replaced physically-challenging ones out of doors. No
wonder there is dystrophy, atrophy and a literal weakness of the knees to
the tune of astounding fatty health issues.

One would think First Lady Bush's visit would have had more of an impact to
see our library system come alive and well in record time. We pray that it's
soon.

--jer--