[StBernard] Sales Tax Refund

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Mar 16 20:41:35 EDT 2007

I too finally received a letter from the state and I also had the amount I
identified cut in half as the income figure I provided was excessive for the
amount I claimed. I looked through my copies to try and determine the
discrepancy and no where is there a section for income. Did they take the
income figure from my tax return? If they took it from the 2005 return,
yes, my income was cut by 2/3rds as we were displaced and living in
Chattanooga on unemployment. Once we returned home and back to work, our
income increased.

This appears to be another feel-good program that the state employees cannot
handle, so the best way to resolve it is to make blanket, stupid decisions.
Personally, I questioned the logic of the methodology when the program was
first communicated. If accuracy was intended, it would have made far more
sense to allow for a tax deduction on what we have to buy to replace what
was lost in the flood. Oh, that's right, that would make sense and we are
talking about Baton Rouge politics.

JFR