[StBernard] Field of Dreams

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Mar 16 20:46:18 EDT 2007

Chad,

You are correct in that there are two oil facilities in the St. Bernard
area. You are correct in that they have both possibly contributed to health
issues in the area. However, the Chalmette refiniery has a few more points
in its favor. First, it followed all of its hurricane protocol and did not
leak toxic materials into the soil of St. Bernard. Two, it has not set up a
media campaign of lies to the public claiming that petroleum "evaporates"
and that there are no longer harmful things in the soil. Third, while not
totally isolated, it is not directly located in neighborhoods. Is there
issues in their emission policies? That I can't say for sure (have not
looked up on that facilitiy). However, checking with the EPA concerning
fines levied against them would be a good place to start. The Bucket Brigade
would also be a good point of reference.
As I have said in this forum before, my grandfather helped to build
both of those facilities. And, when my parents went to go looking for homes
in St. Bernard, he made sure we didn't live any closer than Violet because
of emission issues that he was aware of BEFORE any agencies discovered the
health risks. Look I am not saying that those companies have not contributed
to the community and that they do not serve our area greatly, they do. I
just wish and want them to be a little more honest about issues and health
concerns, be responsible. With newer research, we know the health concerns
that we were not aware of 40 years ago. !!!! I believe that Murphy should
have systematically started purchasing property around there facility in
order to minimize risks to the community. I believe, that while there will
be costs on the front end, being more environmentally friendly and community
conscience would bring more to them more through publicity, community
support, and government grant opportunity in the longer run.
And while I am sure they will scrape out the soil in that park, what
about the emissions? The last time I was down, the sulphuric smells coming
from that plant have been stronger than ever. Until our parish, state, and
federal officials step up and DEMAND better for us, I cannot return. This is
why I have sold my home in St. Bernard. When the dollar means more than
people, that let's me know where me and my kids will sit in the list of
priorities within government and the community. While I truly believe in
capitalism, I believe in capitalism with a conscience. And as of Katrina,
our federal, state, and local officials (who uphold this media campaign of
lies), I believe, have none. They have sold their souls to corporate America
and for what.? A few jobs? Following Katrina, St. Bernard had the unique
opportunity to rebuild better, safer, and smarter.
While not a clean slate, people where already displaced and had lost so
much. The costs and ability would have been easier. Instead of restructuring
and rebuilding smarter, everyone was in a hurry to just rebuild. Examples,
if all St. Bernardians would have come home, would not expansions or
reengineering of Judge Perez and St. Bernard Hwy. have been a good thing?
Green space around the refineries? Taking schools off of main arteries in
order to help with traffic and keep kids safe be a good idea? Offer
incentives for companies to expand deeper into the parish so that congestion
in the Chalmette area would be cut down. It should not take someone 40
minutes to go 5 miles with traffic and lights. And what about all of those
traffic lights? Weren't they getting ridiculous prior to the storm? While
this may seem stupid now, it all goes to quality of life in the bigger
picture. Instead of 1 hour communting to an from work, it would only take 30
minutes. That 30 minutes a day is 30 minutes more with your family (times
that by 240 workdays a year= 120 hours). Could you then maybe drive your
kids to school giving you some one on one time that before wasn't viable
because you had to leave extra early and they caught the bus? Could this
mean more opportunity to coach a team, maybe bike at that new park with the
kids, or even just having a little less stress making for a better home
life? Instead we have been dealt the same hand of cards and the issues of
traffic, health, and quality of life will be there in two or five years when
the parish is completely reestablished, then what?
I love St. Bernard and still have property there and do hope to one day
return. However, the St. Bernard we all loved is not the same. There are new
people in the community that were not there before, there are those missing
that were there before. It's almost like facing a death in the family. At
this point, we are now loving a ghost and just hoping for a rebirth or a
second chance. St. Bernard had and have real problems, its just that
nostalgia and loss (like when someone dies) have made us miss the trees in
spite of the forest. Am I more jaded than before? Yes, FEMA, the federal
government, the Army Corp., and the false sense of security have all have
made me so.

Wendy