[StBernard] St. Bernard Proud

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Mar 23 23:12:03 EDT 2007

"jer, I think you're cool. You write what you think and don't back down.
Some of those rebuilding in the parish think their opinion is the only
correct opinion. Keep your thoughts coming, I for one enjoy reading
them. Sometimes I wonder if those who criticize your opinions about
rebuilding are just really questioning theirs. Pd"

***PD, I promise I won't grandstand to the readers simply because of your
generous comment <smile>, but thanks.

If I've learned anything in my upbringing, it was to tell the truth. I
cannot tell you how many times my backside was paddled for not telling it to
save my a$$ because I might have eaten that cookie or blamed someone else
falsely. However, I did learn the hard way and can only praise my old man
for "tough love" enough to keep me out of the prison system <G>. (I used to
call my dad "my old man" in my era and it wasn't disrespect, because he
honestly was 55 years older than myself and I considered him oldly!! :^7)

I regret being "imperfect as a youth" even though my mama (yes, we Sicilians
called her mama, and no, she didn't like the "old lady" as she was only 45
years older<G>) had a different method of sharing her love with me. She once
said, "honey, you're not bad, just "mischievous" and since I didn't haven't
learned the true definition of the word at 5 years of age, I accepted it as
one would receive a good complement (as though it meant brave and
courageous!). I loved her and still do half a lifetime later for that
because her unconditional love and forgiveness stood with me). And, I only
wish my father were alive today as I have a million questions to go over
with him as I still respect the wisdom of a man so keen--that as a 4th
grader can outthink, outwit and overwhelm me at my age.

So, like Superman, I believe in Truth, Justice and a "blessed" American Way.
To some, my thoughts might seem confusing/cryptic. I give praise where it's
due, and really, I've seen so many heroes in the past 20 months. However, I
don't feel that all are located in any one community and yes, I feel that
not all of them live in St. Bernard, nor the North Shore. The heroics go
everywhere. It takes extreme courage to continue the struggle--regardless of
where you live and breathe. Anyone who came through Katrina's wrath had to
make life-altering decisions. The results will be written in the annals of
Heaven and Hell depending upon their behaviors before and after the storm.

We cannot buy our love for St. Bernard. It's a common, inalienable right
reserved for everyone who is/was a St. Bernardian. That's a given which
should never be called false, regardless of how and why it's challenged by
some.

God make us whole again,

--jer--