[StBernard] Governor's Week in Review: March 16-23, 2007

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Mar 23 23:51:32 EDT 2007

Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco's Week in Review
March 16-23, 2007

News

Legislature overwhelmingly approves plan backed by Governor for LSU-VA health center in New Orleans
3.22.07
The Louisiana Legislature today overwhelmingly approved a plan backed by Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco to secure a teaching and research hospital in New Orleans. Legislators approved a resolution to allocate $74 million in Community Development Block Grant dollars toward land acquisition and planning for the hospital, with the balance of $226 million in CDBG funds to follow subject to receipt of a viable business plan. In a statement issued from Baton Rouge, the Governor thanked legislators for advancing the proposal.
http://www.gov.state.la.us/index.cfmmd=newsroom&tmp=detail&articleID=2725

Governor Blanco, OYD honored for Juvenile Justice reform
3.21.07
Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco, along with the Governor's Office of Youth Development (OYD), was honored today for her commitment to the welfare of Louisiana families by reforming the juvenile justice system at a reception hosted by The Annie E. Casey Foundation (AECF).
http://www.gov.state.la.us/index.cfmmd=newsroom&tmp=detail&articleID=2723

Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco's address to the people of Louisiana
3.20.07
Good evening. I speak to you tonight not only as your governor, but as your fellow citizen. When we began our journey together three years ago, it was a time of optimism and hope. We embarked on sweeping reforms and improvements. These efforts were well underway when catastrophe struck our state.
http://www.gov.state.la.us/index.cfmmd=newsroom&tmp=detail&articleID=2720 <http://www.gov.state.la.us/index.c! fmmd=newsroom&tmp=detail&articleID=2720>

Governor's Column

Celebrating the contributions of Louisiana's women leaders

During Women's History Month, we celebrate the vision, influence and power of Louisiana women and their dramatic impact on the political, economic and social fabric of our state. We've come a long way since 1848 in Seneca Falls, New York. That's when a brave woman named Elizabeth Cady Stanton stood up and said "All men and women are created equal." http://www.gov.state.la.us/index.cfmmd=newsroom&tmp=detail&catID=2&articleID=2718

Blanco's Blog

Gen. Bennett Landreneau, Louisiana National Guard
3.23.07
The Louisiana National Guard has a long and prestigious history of service to state and nation. From answering the call of our Governor or President, the soldiers and airmen of the Louisiana National Guard have distinguished themselves through selfless service and sacrifice. As we continue to meet the challenges of an ever changing world, an increased presence in our Homeland Security mission and the reconstruction from Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, the Louisiana National Guard is committed to ensuring our organization will be ready when called upon.
http://gov.louisiana.gov/index.cfmmd=newsroom&tmp=detail&catID=35&articleID=2729

Bryant O. Hammett, Jr., Department of Wildlife and Fisheries
3.21.07
The mission give! n the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF) at its inception directed the agency to manage, conserve and promote wise utilization of the state's fish and wildlife resources through protection, enhancement and development of those resources.
http://gov.louisiana.gov/index.cfmmd=newsroom&tmp=detail&catID=35&articleID=2721

Simon G. Gonsoulin, Office of Youth Development
3.19.07
Case closed! That's the good news we recently received from the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) regarding its investigation into conditions of confinement at Jetson Center for Youth in Baker, near Baton Rouge. With the correction of deficiencies identified at Jetson, the DOJ investigation of the juvenile facilities in Louisiana is now closed.
http://gov.louisiana.gov/index.cfmmd=newsroom&tmp=detail&catID=35&articleID=2717

Appointments

Addictive Disorders Regulatory Authority
Michael L. Kudla, MD, Lake Charles

Capital Area Human Services District
Ann Wilkinson, Port Allen
Lisa Ogden, Port Allen

State Board of Commerce and Industry
Christopher K. Wolff, Bunkie

Commission for the Deaf
Matthew J. Rovira, Baton Rouge

Lake Charles Harbor and Terminal District
Stephen Lee Hebert, Westlake

Law Enforcement Executive Management Institute Board
Chief Ronald E. Schleuter, West Monroe

Lottery Corporation
Kay M. Begue, New Roads
Eva F. Breaux, Lafayette
Albert F. Cole, Winnfield

Medical Pharmaceutical and Therapeutics Committee
Donald R. Parker, Lake Charles
Kenyatta D. Shamlin, Baton Rouge

Music Commission
William Boles, Monroe
Kenneth Brobst, Benton
Marcus Brown, Lafayette
Gregory Davis, New Orleans
Edgar Gankendorff, New Orleans
Donald Marshall, New Orleans
Stephen Mouton, Breaux Bridge
Johnny Palazzotto, Baton Rouge
Arthur Pulitzer, New Orleans
Cynthia Simien, Lafayette
John Snyder, New Orleans
Lisa Stafford, Lafayette
Maggie Warwick, Shreveport
Roxy Wright, New Orleans

Prescribed Fire Council
Michael G. Rogers, Baton Rouge

Statewide Independent Living Council
Mallery Callahan, Covington
Lanor E. Curole, Golden Meadow
Larry Dale, Metairie
Anna G. Dean, Shreveport
Mark Ford, Baton Rouge
Roni Jo Frazier, Pineville
Diane G. Fruge, Lake Charles
Mitchell L. Granger, Lake Charles
Maurice H. Lamothe, Shreveport
Diane Mirvis, Shreveport
Brenda Singelmann, Metairie
Phil Templet, Pierre Part
Thomas Trahan, Patterson

Proclamations

3.22.07
Proclamation No. 25 KBB 2007: for a special election for the office of district judge in Jefferson Parish.
Proclamation No. 26 KBB 2007: for a special election for the office of constable in Caddo Parish.
http://www.gov.state.la.us/index.cfm?md=newsroom&tmp=home&catID=7

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org