[StBernard] Chalmatians Across the Country

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Mar 26 21:54:48 EDT 2007

Exactly, KS: Make folks happy to see us.

Like countless tens of thousands misplaced, you MUST have been struck in the
heart with the "Cupid of St. Bernard's" arrow of love. Ambassadors of St.
Bernard PROVE that their culture is unique with history and fine people. It
is equally important to assure those in areas who welcomed St. Bernard's own
that their welcome is based on good citizens now living in their community.

I recollect that living in communities as a nomad for the past 19 months
that people (almost exclusively to New Orleans former citizens) misbehaved
enough to bring down discontent as I "paused" in Memphis, Atlanta, August,
South Carolina, etc. We've always heard the cliché about "wearing out one's
welcome", "give good people a bad wrap or name or the "good suffer for the
bad". People can "show their backside" as ambassadors of evil as well. The
key to acceptance is being a model citizen/resident to wherever one lands,
even to the point that person turn his/her life around to do good deeds and
behaves better than in a former life in da parish.

I'm saying this because it reminds me of a former visit to Disneyworld. It
reinforced my believe that cleanliness is paramount. It changed my life
about litter, people living in harmony and supported an attitude that Heaven
on Earth is merely achieving beauty on our planet.

Joining an organization to help make things nicer than before you joined,
doing the significant difference that people sit up and take notice--when
the world in nicer, the countries are such. When the states are friendly,
the cities are kinder. If the parish that we reside currently or in the
future tense does great things, we should return the favor and love our
community enough to do something for and about it. Everyone pitch in. It
makes perfect sense.

--jer--

As I have read both sides of the "those who stayed and those who didn't"
over these past few months, I finally had a thought that I believe is worth
sharing.

For each of these people who left, for whatever the circumstances may have
been, if they are still reading this avenue of communication or any other,
then they must still have St. Bernard at heart, and are very familiar with
the problems of the parish, and the help that is still needed.

These people need to be considered the best ambassadors out there for
spreading the word that help is still needed, and letting the rest of the
country know that the governments are not doing their jobs. As of of "those
who didn't", I want "those who did" to know that I never miss an opportunity
to spread the word when in the presence of anyone from elsewhere in the
country or the world. When you see an article on something that the rest of
the world needs to know about what is happening in St. Bernard, email it to
your friends around the country. They are the ones who have the power to
enlighten those in their communities.

I intend to continue to introduce myself when meeting someone, and they ask
where I am from, I tell them where I live now, but I say St. Bernard Parish,
Louisiana prior to Katrina. The initial response is that "I hope you were
not in the area of the hurricane". Here is my opportunity, and I get to
tell them all about St. Bernard, and the wonderful place it was and is, and
what still needs to be done, and who they can write or call, be it their
congressman or representative to help us get something done.

I plan to put a "levees.org" sign on the window of my car as we travel for
summer vacation. Feel it should get someone's curiosity and give an
opportunity to make one other person aware. If it reaches one person who
realizes that the same Corps of Engineers who neglected our levees is the
same Corps of Engineers who is taking care of the levees in their backyard,
then it will be worthwhile.

KS