[StBernard] Governor Blanco appoints Fire Chief Paul Smith as State Fire Marshal

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Mar 29 06:55:40 EDT 2007

Governor Blanco appoints Fire Chief Paul Smith as State Fire Marshal

BATON ROUGE - Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco today announced Alexandria Fire Department Chief Paul Smith will serve as State Fire Marshal, beginning April 16, 2007.

"With more than three decades of fire service experience, Paul Smith assumes the responsibility of Fire Marshal in a critical time for our state," Governor Blanco said. "He will lead the enforcement of our statewide building codes designed to protect our lives and our property from natural disasters. I look forward to working with Paul as we continue making Louisiana a safer place for all our citizens."

Smith's career in fire service began in 1975 as a firefighter with the Alexandria Fire Department (AFD). He served as a Captain from 1985 until his promotion to Fire Chief in 1986. Under his leadership, Alexandria has maintained its Class 2 Fire Rating according to the Louisiana Property Insurance Association.

During his tenure with AFD, Smith has served as President and Secretary-Treasurer of both the Alexandria Fire Fighters Association and Professional Fire Association of Louisiana. He is currently a member of the Board of Trustees for the Louisiana State Fire Fighters Retirement System, and has also served on the State Firemen's Supplemental Pay Board of Review, Executive Board of the Louisiana AFL-CIO, and the Advisory Board of the LSU Fire and Emergency Training Institute. He is a member of the International Association of Firefighters, the Louisiana State Firemen's Association, and the Louisiana Fire Chief's Association.

Smith replaces Acting Fire Marshal Henry Fry.

Under Gov. Blanco's leadership, the Office of the State Fire Marshal achieved performance requirements established in 2003 to enhance arson investigations. In June, 2006 the Governor signed into law Act 307 (Life Safety and Property Protection Bill - HB 1371) to combine three current licensing laws for sprinkler, fire protection and security/locksmith into one, and to require annual inspections to ensure proper operation of all life safety systems and equipment.

As Fire Marshal, Smith will guide the mission to protect life and property from the hazards of fire or explosion, to ensure the safety of citizens in the constructed environment, to provide equal access to disabled individuals and promote the efficient use of energy in commercial buildings.

###