[StBernard] Ten Comandments of Owning a Pet

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Apr 2 22:35:04 EDT 2007

thought this was worth a post - j dolese

Ten Commandments of Owning a Pet

My life is likely to last ten to fifteen years. Any separation from you will
be very painful for me. Remember that before you acquire me.

Give me time to understand what you want from me.

Place your trust in me. Remember that before you acquire me.

Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have
your work, your friends, and your entertainment. I only have you.

Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don't understand your words, I understand
your voice when it is speaking to me. Be aware that however you treat me, I
will never forget.

Remember before you hit me that I have teeth that can easily crush the bones
in your hand, but I choose not to bite you.

Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate, or lazy, ask
yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I don't understand what
you ask of me or perhaps I am not feeling well, not getting the right food,
been out in the sun too long, or my heart is getting old and weak.

Take care of me when I get old, you too will grow old.

Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say " I can't bear to watch," or
"let it happen in my absence." Everything is easier if you are there.

Remember, no matter what, that I love you. Unconditionally.