[StBernard] Governor Blanco mourns loss of Louisiana legend Eddie Robinson

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Apr 4 21:48:06 EDT 2007

Governor Blanco mourns loss of Louisiana legend Eddie Robinson

BATON ROUGE - Coach Eddie Robinson died in Lincoln Parish late Tuesday evening at age 88. Robinson coached Grambling Sate University to 408 wins between 1941 and 1997. Robinson became the winningest coach in collegiate sports while achieving 45 winning seasons; won nine National Black College championships and 17 Southwestern Athletic Conference titles. He is survived by his wife of 64 years, Doris Robinson; two children, five grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren. Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco issued the following statement from Baton Rouge honoring life and legacy of the Jackson-native.

Statement by Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco:

"Today we mourn the loss of a great Louisianan and a true American hero. Coach Eddie Robinson became the most successful college coach of all time and one of the greatest civil rights pioneers in our history. We will not only remember him for his 408 wins and national and conference championships, but also for his leadership and service to others, both on and off the field. Coach Robinson elevated a small town program to national prominence and tore down barriers to achieve an equal playing field for athletes of all races. Generations of Louisianans will forever benefit from Coach Robinson's fight or equality. He worked to create the Bayou Classic football match-up, which will remains one of college football's greatest events an important part of Louisiana's culture. During the most recent Classic, I was honored to stand with the Robinson family to launch the Eddie G. Robinson Museum, which will stand as a meaningful tribute to this great Louisiana legend. My heart and p! rayers go out to Doris and the Robinson family and the entire Grambling State community."

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org