[StBernard] City gives $26, 000 to Louisiana area devastated by Hurricane Katrina

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Apr 20 21:19:34 EDT 2007

City gives $26,000 to Louisiana area devastated by Hurricane Katrina
By PETER DAY Star Editor
April 19, 2007 - 2:30PM
Even through the telephone line static, the immense gratitude was heard loud
and clear.

"Thank you doesn't even seem to be the right language to use," said Judy
Darby Hoffmeister, councilwoman of the seven-member St. Bernard Parish
council.

Councilwoman Hoffmeister was thanking Hesperia for forwarding $26,237 to her
municipality, St. Bernard Parish, Louisiana, a month after the city sold
surplus equipment and office furniture. The money will help St. Bernard get
back up on its feet.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency expects it will take St. Bernard
Parish five to 10 years to fully recover.

"We have a great spirit and loving family and friends. So we hope with
people like you we will come back at 100 percent," Hoffmeister said.

When Hurricane Katrina hit in August of 2005, a storm surge destroyed St.
Bernard's levees, leaving the town covered in as much as 12 feet of water.
Nearly all parish structures were flooded and building contents destroyed.

"Katrina hit the area with sustained winds in excess of 176 miles per hour,"
Hesperia City Clerk Vicki Soderquist said during last Wednesday's
presentation at City Hall.

Five years before the disaster, the 680-square-mile St. Bernard Parish -- a
parish is similar to a county -- had a population of more than 67,000. A
year later, only about one-third of its residents had returned, leaving the
current population at less 26,000.

After hurricanes Katrina and Rita, the City of Hesperia looked at ways to
assist the region. Last June, Hesperia formally entered into a city-to-city
relationship with St. Bernard Parish. Soon after, city staff devised a plan
to donate proceeds from a surplus sale.

Last month, an auction was held. About $18,050 of city surplus equipment,
$5,175 of water district surplus equipment and $3,012 in surplus office
furniture was auctioned for a total of $26,237.

"She took the idea and ran with it," Mayor Rita Vogler said about
Soderquist's pivotal role in the project. "There is no greater gift one can
do than give of oneself. This small token will be huge to them."

The gift to St. Bernard Parish has meant more than just material objects.
Such giving -- Parish council members said that others throughout the
country are also helping out -- ministers to those hit by the tragedy.

"I think the spirit of America lives in the hearts of the American people,"
said Councilman Mark Madary. "We want to thank you from the bottom of our
hearts for thinking of us."

"This donation will live long after tonight," added St. Bernard Parish
Councilman Craig P. Taffaro, Jr.

The St. Bernard Parish council members, who were watching the Hesperia City
Council proceedings via the city's live Web stream, invited Hesperia council
members to visit. However, Hoffmeister good-naturedly warned, the council
would likely be housed in a FEMA trailer.

"A FEMA trailer is wonderful," Vogler said, graciously.

Hoffmeister echoed Vogler's positive view of such a living arrangement.

"It becomes a condominium after a while."