[StBernard] LRA Statement on LSU Hospital

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Apr 20 22:27:23 EDT 2007

Dr. Norman Francis, Chairman, Louisiana Recovery Authority

Statement on Business Plan for new teaching hospital in New Orleans

>From the beginning, the LRA Board put aside $300 million to rebuild a new LSU teaching and research hospital. We saw it as a priority in the drive to establish an anchor for the biomedical corridor in downtown New Orleans that is so essential to the region's recovery. Working with the Governor and the Legislature, we approved an action plan that commits an initial $74 million in federal recovery dollars toward purchasing property and designing the hospital, a critical investment that will secure the promising partnership of LSU and the VA. I urge U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's swift approval of the state's action plan.

Today's delivery of a business plan to the Joint Legislative Committee on the Budget represents another step along the path to reestablishing an academic medical center to serve Southeast Louisiana. My fellow board members and I at the LRA look forward to reviewing the plan and providing comments to the Legislature and Governor.

The LRA has sought a business plan envisioning a teaching hospital that will be financially sustainable in the state's current health care system or a system like that proposed by the Louisiana Health Care Redesign Collaborative. Our interest is to make sure this critical facility is positioned to succeed in the marketplace under a variety of possible outcomes to ongoing health care reform efforts.

Hurricanes Katrina and Rita devastated South Louisiana, claiming 1,464 lives, destroying more than 200,000 homes and 18,000 businesses. The Louisiana Recovery Authority (LRA) is the planning and coordinating body that was created in the aftermath of these storms by Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco to lead one of the most extensive rebuilding efforts in the world. The LRA is a 33-member body which is coordinating across jurisdictions, supporting community recovery and resurgence, ensuring integrity and effectiveness, and planning for t! he recovery and rebuilding of Louisiana.

###