[StBernard] Tomato Festival Balloon Release

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Apr 25 21:55:20 EDT 2007

April 23, 2007 Monday

Our Lady of Prompt Succor Tomato Festival in Chalmette returns for 56th year on Saturday, May 5 and Sunday, May 6

The Our Lady of Prompt Succor Tomato Festival in Chalmette returns for the 56th year on Saturday, May 5, from 11:30 a.m. to midnight and on Sunday, May 6 from 11:30 a.m. to 11 p.m.

“It’s never missed a year as far as I know,’’ including last year less than eight months after Hurricane Katrina, said Michael Fernandez, who is co-chairperson of the event this year with John Scheuermann, Tommy Culotta and Kenny Reichert.

“We did well’’ last year and hope to do so again, said Fernandez.

The festival, held at 2305 Fenelon St. in Chalmette on the grounds of Our Lady of Prompt Succor Church and school, features tomatoes, a Tomato Queen pageant, music, carnival rides and food.

A special feature will also be a balloon release on Sunday in which any student who attended a Catholic elementary school in St. Bernard Parish at the time of Katrina and is graduating 8th-grade this Spring is invited to participate.

The music schedule follows:
Saturday, May 5:

2:30 – 5:30 p.m. Bucktown All-Stars

6 – 8 p.m. The Red Diva