[StBernard] Governor Blanco: Louisiana has established a stronghold in the global economy

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun May 13 12:02:42 EDT 2007

Gee, makes ya feel better about coming in second in a two man race doesn't
it?

However, I don't think ThyssenKrupp will get all the benefits they are
looking for.

The cost of electricity will go up for them as Alabama Power and it's
owners, Southern Company http://www.southerncompany.com/ have to start
adding scrubbers and other equipment to their coal-fired generators to
reduce pollution. From what I've read up here, this is also contingent upon
some local governments kicking in subsidies that may not materialize. Add in
also, the fact that Alabama's 400 million offer to ThyssenKrup will have to
go before voters, although it should pass.

Ah well, only time will tell which would have been the better choice.

Jim

Governor Blanco: Louisiana has established a stronghold in the
global economy

BATON ROUGE - Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco issued the
following statement after German steel manufacturer ThyssenKrupp today
announced Alabama as its choice for its new plant:

"To be selected as one of two finalists from among 20 states and 67
sites for a project of this magnitude is a tremendous honor and proves that
Louisiana is moving forward with extraordinary momentum. Our Louisiana team
worked diligently to make it to this point in the process, and we will
remain focused on fostering relationships with the many other companies
interested in this location and countless others that recognize the value in
doing business across Louisiana. Our success with this project demonstrates
Louisiana has established a stronghold in the global economy and can
successfully compete for world-class projects."

Bob Soulliere, President and CEO of ThyssenKrupp Steel and Stainless
USA said:

"This was a very difficult decision. Louisiana made an excellent
proposal and demonstrated many important and valuable attributes for
business development. Governor Blanco and her team made a tremendous effort
and the professional approach of officials in Louisiana made our decision
all the more difficult. We thank the Louisiana state team for their hard
work, dedication and commitment to the selection process.

"We recognize this announcement comes as a disappointment to many
people in Louisiana, particularly those who worked so hard on this project.
We are committed to fostering regional partnerships that will benefit the
wider regional economy and remain steadfast believers in Louisiana as a
viable economic engine."

Click here to read ThyssenKrupp's announcement.

Gov. Blanco and LED Secretary Michael Olivier will hold a press
conference this morning as Louisiana moves forward with its economic
development mission.

9:30 a.m.
Governor's Press Room
Fourth Floor
State Capitol
Baton Rouge

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org