[StBernard] New Louisiana Demo Boasso Blasts Gubernatorial OpponentJindal

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun May 13 12:06:23 EDT 2007

Not a bad statement by Walter to distance himself from Jindal. It's a bit
over written, in repeating the same points, but overall not bad.

However, there are two lines I would have left out: first, "Unfortunately,
he picked George Bush and Washington Republicans over the needs of our
people here at home." It would have been better left ending that paragraph
on the stronger point of showing Jindal as purely a "party man" who won't
put politics aside in the face of what's good for all. (2nd paragraph).
This last sentence kinda comes across as taking a shot at President Bush,
which I would advise against.

The second line I would have omitted: "If it helps Louisiana families
recover and rebuild from the hurricanes I'll support it. Apparently, that
is a choice Mr. Jindal is not willing to make". This line is worse than the
other. It implies Jindal has done "nothing" at all for Louisiana's recovery
effort - and most people know that's not true. More importantly, it's a
little on the side of "obvious" - and by that I mean the reader has to be
given the opportunity to figure this out for himself. Pointing it out is an
"obvious" comes across as if Walter is thinking for us readers. Besides, it
sounds more like a cheap shot than an intelligent statement of how Walter is
different from Jindal.

In the future, if I was Walter - or the person writing his press releases -
I'd try to stay away from comments that sound so obviously like political
rhetoric.

But still, overall it was good "first" statement release where I feel Walter
seized an opportunity to show how he's different from his lead rival.

- John Scurich