[StBernard] BLANCO TRACK: Session Update for May 16, 2007

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu May 17 00:28:24 EDT 2007

BLANCO TRACK: Session Update for May 16, 2007
Today's progress on Governor Blanco's agenda to strengthen Louisiana's future

BATON ROUGE - Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco today applauded Members of the House of Representatives for voting in favor of key bills in the Blanco-Donelon insurance package designed to address the affordability and availability of property insurance in Louisiana.

"With today's action, we are one step closer to creating an environment in Louisiana that is beneficial to both consumers and the insurance industry," Gov. Blanco said. "Insurance Commissioner Jim Donelon and I created this package of reforms to make insurance more affordable and more available to our home and business owners by reducing risk across our state. I thank House Members for joining us in this effort and I will continue working with legislators to see this plan through."

The following bills in Gov. Blanco's legislative package advanced in the legislature today:

House Bill 678- Establish the Insure Louisiana Incentive Program

* Sponsored by Representative Karen R. Carter, Chairman, Insurance Committee.
* This bill allows the state to match a company's capital investment dollar for dollar to encourage more companies to write policies in Louisiana.
* Approved by the House of Representatives, heads next to the Senate for Committee referral.

House Bill 558-Premium reductions for retrofitting

* Sponsored by Representative Joe Salter, Speaker of the House
* This bill mandates that insurance companies provide rate reductions to homeowners complying with the new statewide building codes or hardening their existing structures.
* Approved by the House of Representatives, heads next to the Senate for committee referral.

House Bill 862 -Depopulation of Citizens Insurance by competitive bid

* Sponsored by Representative Karen R. Carter, Chairperson, House Insurance Committee.
* This bill requires Citizens Insurance Corporation to bundle their policies for sale and removes the private market's ability to cherry pick policies.
* Approved by the House of Representatives, heads next to the Senate for committee referral.

Senate Bill 153 - Depopulation of Citizens Insurance by competitive bid

* Sponsored by Senator Reggie Dupre
* This bill requires Citizens Insurance Corporation to bundle their policies for sale and removes the private market's ability to cherry pick policies.
* Approved by the Senate Insurance Committee, heads next to the full Senate for further consideration.

Senate Bill 53 - Creates Louisiana Coastal Protection and Restoration Financing Corporation

* Sponsored by Senator Reggie Dupre
* This bill sets up the Louisiana Coastal Protection and Restoration Financing Corporation to allow the state to securitize the income stream from federal outer continental shelf revenue to fund coastal restoration and hurricane protection projects.
* Approved by the Senate, heads next to the House of Representatives for committee referral.

Senate Concurrent Resolution 35 - Creates the Louisiana Health Care Quality Forum

* Sponsored by Senator Joe McPherson, Chairman, Senate Health and Welfare Committee.
* This resolution requests the Department of Health and Hospitals to establish the Louisiana Health Care Quality Forum for the purpose of planning, promoting and conducting quality improvement initiatives within the state through a public-private partnership of health care organizations and institutions.
* Approved by the Senate Health and Welfare Committee, heads next to the full Senate for further consideration.

Click here for more on the legislative session. <http://www.gov.state.la.us/index.cfm?md=pagebuilder&tmp=home&navID=50&cpID=169&cfmID=0&catID=0>

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org