[StBernard] Louisiana's leaders unite behind 8/29 Commission

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon May 21 22:35:58 EDT 2007

Breaking News:

Louisiana's leaders unite behind the 8/29 Commission.

Both Senators from Louisiana have pledged to co-sponsor the 8/29 Commission,
an independent look at the failure of the federal flood protection in New
Orleans and south Louisiana.

Senators Mary Landrieu (D-LA) and David Vitter (R-LA) vowed to work together
to make this important legislation happen!

This news comes after three days of lobbying last week by representatives of
Levees.Org. We visited with members of Congress nationwide to educate them
on the need for the 8/29 Commission. This idea enjoys broad support from
both democrats and republicans.

Senator Landrieu promised Levees.Org that she would make the 8/29 Commission
her #1 priority in the next phase of the Water Resources Development Act
(WRDA) while Senator Vitter pledged to do all he can to make the commission
law.

Here's how you can help.

Call Senator Landrieu (202-224-5824) and Senator Vitter (202-224-4623) by
4pm CST May 23rd.

1. Tell the aide you are a Louisiana citizen and you want to leave a
message.

2. Say this: "I want to thank the Senator for agreeing to co-sponsor the
8/29 Commission as an amendment to the WRDA bill. Please continue to work
together to make this happen."

Want to do more?

If you haven't yet, please go to YouTube
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zooW7F9ls7k> and view the John Goodman
Public Service Announcement. This will help earn the video the honor of Most
Viewed this Month!

Thank you!
Sandy Rosenthal
Founder, Levees.Org