[StBernard] Governor Blanco urges personal preparedness during hurricane season

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu May 31 22:58:03 EDT 2007

Governor Blanco urges personal preparedness during hurricane season; launches state emergency Web site as resource for citizens

BATON ROUGE (May 31, 2007) - Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco took to the aisles of a local supermarket today to urge residents to gather and prepare for the 2007 hurricane season, which begins Friday, June 1. Joined by representatives of the American Red Cross and state agencies, the Governor announced the launch of www.emergency.louisiana.gov <http://www.emergency.louisiana.gov> , a new Web site linking Louisianans with emergency preparedness resources.

"I remind citizens across South Louisiana to do the simple things that can make a big difference in an emergency," said Governor Blanco. "Tomorrow Louisiana begins what we all hope will be an uneventful hurricane season. This year, we once again choose not to be afraid, but to be prepared. Preparedness is the first step in protecting our people and communities.

"Today, I am launching www.emergency.louisiana.gov <http://www.emergency.louisiana.gov> , a new Web site that streamlines important information our people need before, during and after an emergency. This site, developed in partnership with the Division of Administration, contains important preparedness and evacuation information and connects citizens with additional resources. Should disaster strike, Louisiana's Joint Information Center will use this site as a main channel of communication. I encourage citizens to visit the site and sign-up for emergency alerts."

Gov. Blanco greeted shoppers at a Baton Rouge Wal-Mart Supercenter, sharing emergency supply checklists and information about the state's new emergency Web site. Wal-Mart is one of many regional distributors of the Louisiana Citizen Awareness and Disaster Evacuation Guides, which include maps of evacuation routes, contra flow plans, and other information critical for citizens during an emergency.

"I am asking citizens to know where to go and what to do," Gov. Blanco said. "On your next shopping trip, pick up the supplies you need for your family's disaster supply kit. Don't wait. Do it this week -- so you have everything you need."

Louisiana Citizen Awareness and Disaster Evacuation Guides are provided by the American Red Cross, Department of Transportation and Development, Department of Social Services, Department of Health & Hospitals, Louisiana State Police, the Governor's Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness and other state agencies.

Free copies of the Southwest and Southeast version of the Guide are available primarily in the Greater New Orleans, Lafayette and Lake Charles areas as well as coastal communities. In these areas, citizens may obtain guides at Wal-Mart, Lowes, The Home Depot, Rouses Supermarkets, State Police Troops, Emergency Management offices, and DOTD district offices. Guides are also available in the Governor's office at the State Capitol.

A printable version of the guides is available online at www.emergency.louisiana.gov <http://www.emergency.louisiana.gov> .

###