[StBernard] Expanding higher ed access for low income students

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu May 31 23:17:49 EDT 2007

Wendy,

As a friend of mine says, "If it was easy, they'd get anyone to do it.
Instead they call us."

I'm building a combo shed/playhouse in my backyard. I'm doing it myself
with assistance as needed. Yep, it's a lot of hard work, been working on it
over a year now, but when it is done, I'll be able to say "I built it."

This do-it-yourself attitude spills over into a lot of things I do.
Luckily, I have learned to recognize some things that are "easy" and to let
others do it for me.

There is no doubt that there is discrimination out there, but that is a
morality issue and you simply cannot legislate morality.

I've got a couple of people that I have help me out occasionally on various
jobs when I need to have an extra hand. With the knowledge they have, they
would be minimum wage hires, but I always pay them more than that.

Again, nothing forces a woman to take a job for 35% less pay. If every
woman refused to take the pay offered, it would climb.

If you are truly talented, skilled, what have you, there is always a better
position out there, you just have to find it. I've taken lower paying jobs
just to tide me over until I could find the one that matched what I was
looking for.

Westley