[StBernard] Expanding higher ed access for low income students

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu May 31 23:30:10 EDT 2007

Wendy,

Before Katrina, St. Bernard Parish Public Schools were every bit as good as
the Catholic schools. A lot of parents felt that way. That's why you found
a decreasing enrollment in all the Catholic schools.

I kept my kids in a Catholic school because I wanted them to have a Catholic
education and be exposed to that atmosphere as much as possible.

I am a graduate of Chalmette High and turned down the opportunity to go to
Brother Martin since I felt CHS had everything I was looking for at the
time.

I don't think I started off my adult years any worse off than Brother Martin
or Holy Cross grads.

People look at the educational system when they decide where they will raise
their family. I don't care how rich or poor, if you truly want the best for
your kids, you will do what it takes. If it means moving to another city or
state, then so be it.

Unfortunately, I think most people on the poorer side of the scale don't
look at it this way. Just today, there was an AP story that 5,000 heads of
households that are Katrina evacuees living in Houston are still unemployed
with the an estimate 100,000 jobs waiting to be filled. That is 5,000
people who deserve none and get no sympathy from me.

As for the "unpaid training", that sounds like an issue for the labor board.
Employers, to the best of my knowledge, cannot require employees to attend
any type of training without their normal hourly compensation.

Westley