[StBernard] Expanding higher ed access for low income students

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Jun 1 17:53:58 EDT 2007

Wes,

No, unpaid in that we get no extra labor hours to do the training, we have
to do it in what is allocated, not not pay people, please like that will
ever happen. I can't answer for those in Houston, but can only tell you my
point. I have made 22 trips to St.B. since the storm, some of those trips I
was gone 10 days, some 5. In any event, had I been working, I can't think of
one employer that would have been "understanding" when I had to drop and
run. Also, living in Maine and now Alabama, I still don't know my way
around, get lost often. Having gone now to two different states, I can say
that I read up on each school district, both were touted as "the best" and
when we get here, well like I said, a graduate couldn't tell time on a
watch. In Maine, the kids were learning things my kids had learned two years
before in St. B. In my scenerio, how are lower income people suppose to make
decisions to up and move and not knowing what to expect and will it be
better? It has only been since the storm that I have a greater compassion
for lower income people and the challenges they face only because of what my
parents faced immediately after the storm. My mom and dad got paid on the
1st and 5th of the month, they didn't have a lot and when they evacuated
hotels price gouged them to hell an took what little they had until they
could find their bosses. Thankfully, I was able to help, but I think of what
might have happened if I didn't save for that bad day. And in my eyes, there
are people who face that dilemma everyday. Katrina was an equalizer in so
many ways but her legacy will be much harsher. THOSE like us who are
survivors will never understand those who can't, it is only because of my
parents that my heart is softer. My dad served two tours in Vietnam, was
injured once and went back, Yet, was lost once the storm hit, and still is
somewhat lost today. He turned 60 a couple of weeks ago, he hasn't worked
since the storm, the reason, he's afraid. Afraid of being told no because of
his age. He was a roofer and a pipefitter, but isn't as young, so he can't
which was easier on his aching back. I can't answer for those in Houston, I
can only tell you that my boyfriend hasn't been able to work because
employers wanted stability, and our going back and forth didn't allow for
that. Of the million people who evacuated, 5,000 seems like a small number
and may be dealing with similar situations like me and my family face daily.

Wendy