[StBernard] The Word from Washington - Honoring Louisiana's veterans, Rita & Katrina recovery, Morganza to the Gulf, and more

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jun 6 23:35:59 EDT 2007

Dear Westley,

Hello to all of my friends in Louisiana's great third district! The past
five months have been a busy and productive time in Washington, but much has
been accomplished for the great people of south Louisiana.

Honoring our Veterans

In May it was my privilege to join about 100 of Louisiana's World War II
veterans who were visiting
Rep. Melancon thanks several of Louisiana's WWII veterans for their
service. The veterans were visiting D.C. with Louisiana Honor Air, a group
dedicated to providing every WWII in Louisiana the opportunity to visit
their WWII Memorial in D.C.
<http://melancon.congressnewsletter.net/images/user_images/Newsletter_pic_1.

Rep. Melancon thanks several WWII veterans from Louisiana for their service.
The veterans were visiting D.C. with Louisiana Honor Air, a group dedicated
to providing every WWII in Louisiana the opportunity to visit their WWII
Memorial in Washington.

Washington, D.C., to view the the World War II Memorial, Korean War
Memorial, and Arlington National Cemetery. These brave veterans had the
opportunity to visit DC and their World War II Memorial for the first time
as part of Louisiana Honor Air's first trip.

As part of this memorable day, we visited the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at
Arlington National Cemetery, where several of the veterans, Congressman
Boustany and I presented a wreath from the group to honor all of the
courageous men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our
country's freedom. I am grateful to Louisiana Honor Air and our veterans
for allowing me to share in this moving experience. They reminded me once
again why these brave men and women truly are "The Greatest Generation."

Closing MRGO, Authorizing Morganza to the Gulf, and Coastal Restoration
Projects

Over the past few months we have also made progress in Congress on a number
of Louisiana's highest priorities, including major hurricane protection and
coastal restoration projects. On April 19, I voted in favor of H.R. 1495,
the Water Resources Development Act of 2007 (WRDA), which passed the House
of Representatives by a vote of 394 to 25. This important water projects
bill includes authorization for over $2 billion in hurricane protection and
coastal restoration projects for south Louisiana, such as the Morganza to
the Gulf hurricane and storm protection system, projects included in the
comprehensive federal coastal restoration plan for south Louisiana, closure
of the Mississippi River Gulf Outlet (MRGO), and channel deepening at the
Port of Iberia.

Moving forward with Morganza to the Gulf was one of my top priorities for
this Congress and I am pleased both the House and Senate versions of WRDA
authorize over $886 million for this important project. When complete,
Morganza will provide hurricane and flood protection to about 120,000 people
and 1,700 square miles in Terrebonne and Lafourche Parishes who currently
have no hurricane protection.

Passing WRDA through the House and Senate did not come easily, however. The
President made it clear he was opposed to authorizing Morganza, but I, along
with my colleagues Rep. Richard Baker and Sen. Mary Landrieu, were
determined not to let WRDA pass without the inclusion of this important
hurricane protection system that south Louisiana deserves and needs.
Fortunately, our colleagues in Congress agreed with us and we expect
Morganza will remain in the final version of WRDA that we will send the
President for his approval in the next month or so.

$6.4 Billion for Hurricane Recovery in the Emergency Supplemental

I also worked to make sure our critical hurricane recovery needs received
funding in the U.S. Troop Readiness, Veterans' Care, Katrina Recovery, and
Iraq Accountability Appropriations Act (H.R. 2206), commonly referred to as
the Iraq/Katrina Supplemental Appropriations bill. While the bill was
revised several times by Congress, I am pleased to say all of the hurricane
recovery needs that I and the rest of the Louisiana delegation were fighting
for stayed in the bill. Furthermore, we were successful in making sure
Hurricane Rita victims, as well as those from Katrina, were remembered in
this bill and will receive the aid they need and are entitled to. On May 25,
the bill was signed into law by the President and assistance is now on its
way to the people in south Louisiana who are still struggling to recover
from the storms.

Included in the Emergency Supplemental is over $6.4 billion in hurricane
recovery funding for the Gulf Coast, addressing such needs as disaster
relief for our fishermen, schools, colleges and universities, and local
governments and $1.3 billion for levees in south Louisiana. We also removed
a huge roadblock to Louisiana's recovery: the 10% local match required for
disaster recovery projects like rebuilding schools and removing debris. This
bill fully waives the local match and takes a huge burden off of our
cash-strapped local governments that are struggling to rebuild.

This bill is a huge victory for south Louisiana, and I will keep working
with the rest of our delegation to make sure our most critical needs -
hurricane recovery, hurricane protection, and coastal restoration - all
remain national priorities.

Supporting our Troops and our Veterans

On May 17, I voted in favor of H.R. 1585, the 2008 Defense Authorization
Bill. This bill authorizes an additional $1 billion for National Guard and
Reserve equipment to address the shortfall caused by our ongoing commitments
in Iraq and Afghanistan. In addition, this bill will also impose a 3.5
percent pay increase for our proud servicemen and women serving us both
overseas and at home. It also includes a provision that would provide
improved healthcare for both troops and veterans, by preventing fee
increases in the TRICARE program.

America has the finest military in the world, and this bill provides them
the support and funding they need to remain the strongest. Under the bill,
our troops will get better health care, better pay, and the benefits they
have earned. Additionally, we are also making sure the National Guard has
the equipment it needs to be fully prepared to respond to the next natural
disaster. As we saw after Katrina and Rita, the National Guard plays a
critical role in aiding disaster victims. With another hurricane season
beginning, we must make sure the Guard always has what it needs to help and
protect American citizens.

Serving as your representative in Congress is a great privilege, and I will
keep fighting every day for south Louisiana's needs. Please don't hesitate
to call my office in Washington, or one of my four offices in Louisiana, if
there is anything I can help you with. If you would like to share your
opinion on upcoming issues in Congress please call or write my office. I
take your viewpoints very seriously and look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Charlie Melancon
U.S. Representative
Third Congressional District of Louisiana