[StBernard] E-Update From Senator David Vitter

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jun 13 21:56:45 EDT 2007

Immigration has been the main topic of debate on the floor of the U.S.
Senate recently. This is a critical issue for our entire country, and I
have been very active in this debate. The bill being debated includes a
provision that would grant amnesty to the 12 million illegal immigrants
currently living in the United States. This is something that I strongly
oppose, and I am fighting to have this provision removed from the
legislation.

Last week we celebrated Memorial Day taking time to give thanks to our
soldiers who are fighting for our freedom all across the world. It is a
time to reflect on the sacrifices these men and women have made for us and
thank them and their families for their dedication to our country.

Below you can read more about other issues I am working on like standing
against amnesty, controlling government spending, serving as a WRDA
conferee, preparing for hurricane season and other key issues for Louisiana
families.

David Vitter
Standing Against Amnesty

The U.S. Senate is currently debating an immigration bill
<http://vitter.senate.gov/?module=PressRoom/VittersView&ID=2568a2e1-03d6-4f8
e-9139-b84f64461f34> that was crafted by Sen. Ted Kennedy and a small group
of senators. I am very concerned that the Kennedy immigration bill includes
a provision that would create Z visas for illegal aliens currently living in
the United States. Z visas would give the 12 million illegal aliens in the
United State legal status. Make no mistake, Z visas are amnesty, and this
is something I strongly oppose. The Z visas provision in the legislation
allows illegal immigrants to stay in the United States without having to
return to their home countries.

Amnesty sends the wrong message - that of a reward - to those who are and
have been evading the laws. We should not reward those who break our laws,
which is why I introduced an amendment that would remove the entire Z visas
provision from the bill. A massive amnesty provision is not the answer to
the illegal immigration problems in our country. The Senate unfortunately
rejected my amendment, but I am going to continue fighting to curtail
illegal immigration.

Click here
<http://recap.fednet.net/archive/Buildasx.asp?sProxy=80_sflr052107_026.wmv,8
0_sflr052107_027.wmv,80_sflr052107_028.wmv&sTime=00:01:08.0&eTime=00:01:57&d
uration=00:10:42.0&UserName=Emili&sExpire=1> if you would like to view one
of my Senate floor speeches opposing amnesty.

Reigning in Government Spending

The Stop Over-Spending Act of 2007 was recently introduced in the U.S.
Senate, and I am an original co-sponsor of this legislation. We introduced
this legislation to counter tax-and-spend budget practices and to bring back
common sense to the budgeting process and cut frivolous spending.

Some of the important components of this bill include reinstating statutory
limits on "emergency" spending, creating a mechanism to reduce spending
automatically if caps are exceeded and restoring budget procedures to reduce
government spending and reduce our tax burden. This legislation is
important to bringing fiscal responsibility back to the federal government.

Serving as a WRDA Conferee

Recently I was named a conferee
<http://vitter.senate.gov/?module=PressRoom/PressItem&ID=829787ca-c663-4148-
8d7f-b40c4a7401f0> on the House-Senate conference committee charged with
producing a final agreement on the Water Resources Development Act (WRDA).
The WRDA legislation is essential to Louisiana because it contains Corps of
Engineers projects throughout the state, which are especially important
following Hurricanes Rita and Katrina.

As a WRDA conferee I will be able to provide leadership on the issues that
are so important to Louisiana. I will continue to press for fundamental
reform of the Corps of Engineers and funding for Morganza to the Gulf. I
will also work to ensure that a Water Resources Council is established to
manage and oversee the implementation of a statewide plan for the Corps that
will address issues such as hurricane protection, ecosystem restoration and
flood protection.

Preparing for Hurricane Season

Recently I sent a letter
<http://vitter.senate.gov/?module=PressRoom/PressItem&ID=ee58df8b-4ee6-40fd-
b5ea-ea3408f80495> to Secretary Chertoff at the U.S. Department of Homeland
Security expressing concerns about readiness for the 2007 hurricane season.
This year's hurricane season is predicted to be a very busy one, so we must
make sure that we are all prepared. In the letter, I explained a number of
readiness issues that need to be addressed immediately and asked Secretary
Chertoff to work quickly to ensure we are better prepared for this hurricane
season.