[StBernard] BLANCO TRACK: Session Update for June 27, 2007

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jun 27 21:55:38 EDT 2007

BLANCO TRACK: Session Update for Wednesday, June 27, 2007;Today's progress on Governor Blanco's agenda to Strengthen Louisiana's Future

BATON ROUGE - One day remains in the 2007 Legislative Session, and Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco's legislative package is nearing completion. Today, she signed House Bill 765, a key component of her agenda.

"This supplemental funding bill delivers the resources needed to move forward and meet our state's many ne! eds, from building and repairing our roadways to restoring our coast, enhancing economic development and helping to meet the projected Road Home shortfall," said Governor Blanco. "I thank the legislature for supporting these critical one-time investments."

The following bills in the Governor's package advanced in the legislature today:

House Bill 765 - Supplemental Appropriations

* Sponsored by Representative John Alario
* This bill appropriates the FY 05-06 surplus and the FY 06-07 available revenue for one time purposes including economic development, education, healthcare, roads, ports and recovery initiatives.
* Signed by the Governor into law.

Senate Bill 238 - Establishment of Health Care Redesign Fund in state treasury

* Sponsored by Senator Joe McPherson
* This fund will facilitate a safe, patient-centered, high quality redesigned health care system for Medicaid recipients and low-income uninsured patients. Specifically the fund will provide for a "medical home" system of care in New Orleans and Southwest Louisiana, expand health insurance for children, increase behavioral health services (substance abuse and mental health treatment) and provide funding for health care workforce recruitment and retention.
* Signed by the Governor into law.

Senate Bill 361 (formerly Senate Bill 189) -School Readiness Tax Credit

* Sponsored by Senator Ann Duplessis
* Creates School Readiness Tax Credits to serve as an incentive for increasing the number of quality child care centers serving our infants and children.
* The credits benefit providers, parents, child care professionals and companies that provide child care for their employees.
* Signed by the Governor into law.

House Bill 542- Louisiana Children and Youth Health Insurance Program

* Sponsored by Representative Monica Walker and Senator Diana Bajoie
* This bill improves enrollment and expands access to LaCHIP, the Louisiana Children's Health Insurance Program.
* Conference committee report adopted by both chambers, heads to the Governor to be signed.

The following items in the Governor's legislative agenda advanced yesterday, however technical difficulty caused delay in release of the information.

House Bill 558-Premium reductions for retrofitting

* Sponsored by Speaker Joe Salter
* This bill mandates that insurance companies provide rate reductions to homeowners complying with the new statewide building codes or hardening their existing structures.
* Approved by the House of Representatives, heads to the Governor to be signed.

House Bill 2 - Capital Outlay Budget

* Sponsored by Representative Taylor Townsend
* Provides for the construction and repair of state and local facilities.
* Approved by the House of Representatives, heads to the Governor to be signed.

Senate Bill 1 - Health Care Reform Act of 2007

* Sponsored by Senator Joe McPherson
* This bill authorizes the Department of Health and Hospitals to develop and implement a redesigned health care delivery system for Medicaid recipients and low-income uninsured citizens.
* Approved by the Senate, heads to the Governor to be signed.

Senate Bill 53 - Creates Louisiana Coastal Protection and Restoration Financing Corporation

* Sponsored by Senator Reggie Dupre
* This bill sets up the Louisiana Coastal Protection and Restoration Financing Corporation to allow the state to securitize the income stream from federal outer continental shelf revenue to fund coastal restoration and hurricane protection projects.
* Approved by the Senate, heads to the Governor to be signed.

House Bill 240 - Truck and Trailer Exemption

* Sponsored by Representative Taylor Townsend
* This bill clarifies the sales and use tax exemption for certain trucks and trailers used in interstate commerce.
* Louisiana's ports are the gateway to the world and our trucking industry facilitates the movement of many products in interstate commerce. This bill keeps our trucking companies competitive with neighboring states.
* Approved by the House of Representatives, heads to the Governor to be signed.

House Bill 372 - Investment Tax Credit Alternative to Enterprise Zone Sales Tax Rebate

* Sponsored by Representative Taylor Townsend
* Louisiana is now in a position to strengthen our future by providing a refundable investment tax credit option equal to 1.5 percent of qualified expenditures.
* This bill entitles a business that has executed an enterprise zone contract a choice of either the sales and use tax rebate or the new refundable investment tax credit.
* Approved by the House of Representatives, heads to the Governor to be signed.

House Bill 464- Tax/Sales-Use exempt for utilities

* Sponsored by Representative Taylor Townsend
* This bill extends the current sales and use of tax exemption for utilities used by steel manufacturers that is set to expire this June.
* Approved by the House of Representatives, heads to the Governor to be signed.

<http://www.gov.state.la.us/index.cfm?md=pagebuilder&tmp=home&navID=50&cpID=169&cfmID=0&catID=0>

Click here for more on the legislative session.

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org