[StBernard] code enforcement

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Jul 10 22:46:54 EDT 2007

Just wanted to reply about the illegal signs. The portable signs you see
around now, were illegal before the storm and still illegal, as are many
other violations of existing laws, lsuch as you can't dump trash on a median
or put posters on light poles and trees. Last year the Planning Comm. sent
to the council and administration passed more current signage and
landscaping ordinances to put us where other parishes are with community
standards. Unfortunately, no matter what is written, it boils down to
enforcement. Call the parish complaint dept or your council person so an
enforcement officer can come out and notify the offender.

With regards to Smart Code, the Planning Commission has been working
diligently on the Smart Code words, but due to the loss of important
property maps in the flood, there has been difficulty in obtaining the type
of property maps that accompany Smart Code because each parcel of land gets
a designation. We tried doing it by hand for a week last year and we have
many strips of 12 foot long maps all hand colored. Definitely, not the way
to do this.

Stay tuned as there are wheels turning to get the funding necessary to
re-create the digital maps to finalize Smart Code and conduct public
hearings about it so as to send it to the council and administration for
adoption.Meanwhile, we still are under the old zoning code deisgnations for
land use such as R-1, R-2, C-1, C-2, I-1, I-2, etc.

Smart Code isn't focused so much about how each piece of land is used as the
current method is, but considers what the structure looks like-how tall,
how wide, what type of construction, how much parking, how much green space,
how far set back from the street and property lines, etc. Deborah Keller,
Plann Comm Vice Chair