[StBernard] Boasso & Jindal

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Jul 12 20:26:29 EDT 2007

CAMPAIGN NEWS

Walter Boasso

LOUISIANA POLITICS: JINDAL, FOSTER CAMPBELL, VITTER, BOASSO, JNIDAL, TIDMORE
Byline: Bayou Buzz staff

Foster Campbell

Foster Campbell is hosting a fundraiser in Shreveport. However, he has not
yet penetrated South of I-10 and will need to do so to capture any of those
voters. Campbell is running for Louisiana Governor.

Boasso, Jindal
Walter Boasso has launched another verbal blast at Bobby Jindal.
Here is his comments" First it was his self-imposed gag order during the
legislative session, now Bobby Jindal doesn't want to give the impression
that he's a "micro-manager." Either way, it adds up to the same thing-Bobby
Jindal does not want to actually talk about what he would do as Governor.
"By scrambling for excuse after excuse to not talk about what he would do,
Bobby Jindal is giving away the fact that he has no plan and no vision for
Louisiana," State Senator Walter Boasso, Democratic Candidate for Governor,
said. "Anyone who is actually concerned for the future of this state should
not just be willing to speak out but should feel compelled to speak out.

"And yet, Bobby and his handlers have decided that it is not in his
political interest to actually say what he thinks," Boasso said. "The real
losers here are the people of Louisiana who deserve a real debate on the
issues.

"Perhaps it would help if we all told Bobby that he will not be criticized
for "the appearance of trying to micromanage the legislature" in hopes of
maybe getting a straight answer out of him," Boasso said. "If he needs to be
treated with kid gloves, we'll treat him with kid gloves. It would just be
nice to have him participate in a debate that will determine the future of
Louisiana for a change."

LEFTBLOG: THE GOVERNOR'S RACE - YES, THERE IS A RACE
Byline: Stephen Handwerk
The Daily Advertiser

First and foremost I would like to premiere the Bobby "JinDOLL" right here
on the LEFT BLOG. When my team heard the "clip" on KVOL's Lunch Show with
Todd C. Elliot, we just had to go to work to create - THE JinDOLL.
Check it out RIGHT HERE - and then click on over to www.MySpace.com/KVOL
<http://www.myspace.com/KVOL> and then click under the "RADIO" click on THE
TALKING JINDOLL to hear all about this great new TOY. Perhaps the Cardboard
Cut-Out has actually been upgraded. Great work Todd C. Elliot and Danny for
this.
Alright, so the Governor's race is now heating up and we have several folks
running - and really the only contenders who are really still "IN" this race
are - Foster Campbell who has a huge GRASS ROOTS following and has been in
Lafayette a Great Deal. Congressman Bobby Jindal who's support seems to be
dropping DAILY. And then you have State Senator Walter Boasso who is running
some great TV commercials to introduce him throughout the state.
Let's look at all three of these candidates from the standpoint of campaign
strength and momentum.

Congressman Jindal. Jindal was flying high before Governor Blanco announced
that she would retire after this year and not seek re-election. His numbers
were astronomical because so many people are so very unhappy with how things
are going right now. However, now that she is out - Jindal's numbers have
been steadily declining and are now easily in striking distance. His has
little campaign structure set up at this point and each and every day I have
more people telling me that they are questioning their support for Jindal,
mostly because they don't like that he refuses to debate, get involved and
talk about REAL things he is going to do.

Public Service Commissioner Foster Campbell. Foster Campbell declared early
on that he was running for Governor, in fact we interviewed him last year at
the Jefferson Jackson dinner when he said as much. In this time he has been
able to put together a lot of grass roots support. The "net roots" activists
are working very hard for him in many different ways and that has helped him
a great deal. His weakness is that he has only raised just over $1 million
(this is likely a $4 - $5 million race), and they seem to have some problems
in communicating their complete message. However, it seems that they are
working very hard to correct this with the launch of their new website and
with more frequent alerts and updates. We hope this continues.

State Senator Walter Boasso. Boasso has run a very SMART campaign this far.
He realized early off that not many folks out of the greater New Orleans
area knew who he was - his answer - run some GREAT commercials in every
media market in the state. Well it is working. When I mention his name to
folks they normally answer with one of two things - "oh, ya - he is the guy
that started his company with a box of tide and a garden hose" or I get the
"he is the guy with the Jindal cardboard cut out!" Yep that is him. Boasso
is in the process of opening up campaign offices throughout the state and he
is traveling the state daily now to packed rooms and events.

Since I have commented extensively on Campbell and Jindal, this week I
wanted to look a bit closer at Boasso.

I spent the greater part of the afternoon and early evening with the senator
today and several members of his staff. To say I was impressed would be a
real understatement. However, you can see for yourself next Monday night at
9pm on AOC Channel 15 where Senator Boasso is our special guest.

After our taping the Senator had a Meet and Greet with local members of the
Democratic Party as well as elected officials and those seeking office. We
had a decent turn out and we heard from State Senator Butch Gautreaux on his
experience in working with Boasso and how much he has grown to trust and
respect him. Then we heard from State Senator Nick Gautreaux and he told a
story that I was not aware of - He told us of the day Katrina hit and his
communication with Senator Boasso. It seems only their blackberry's were
working and Nick sent an e-mail over to Walter asking him "how are you
doing?" To which he got the response - "My people are dying here. we need
help!" Nick went to work and you will likely remember his caravan of boats
that headed down to the New Orleans area.

It may not be known very well, but Senator Boasso spent days out there
rescuing people - breaking into attics to free people that were dying. He
did this for days until they finally - 8 days later, got help down in St.
Bernard parish. Boasso spent a night on the "infamous bridge" where he and a
wildlife and fishery's officer tried to get some rest before the started it
all over the next day.

It should be noted that he was on the ground - well on the water at least -
working for days while the other politicians were out in front of the
cameras with nice white shirts on looking for press opportunities.

I think this says a great deal about his credibility, his integrity and just
how far he is willing to go to protect his people - how much he cares for
his fellow man.

Boasso's message is clear - it is time to give the government back to the
people - "Government should be By and For the people - All people."

Boasso wants to bring people together to get things done, he feels that with
all of the new folks coming to Baton Rouge that we have a real opportunity
IF we have the RIGHT leader. Is he that leader? It's up to the voters.

So we have a race now. Jindal needs to have a debate with the candidates so
that the voters can make an informed decision. Or perhaps that is not what
he wants voters to do. So my question is this - Why do republicans have such
a terrible track record in this state of not debating?