[StBernard] Landrieu Secures More Than $19 Million for Louisiana Transportation, Communities

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Jul 12 21:06:00 EDT 2007

Landrieu Secures More Than $19 Million for Louisiana Transportation,
Communities Will improve Louisiana's roadway infrastructure.

WASHINGTON - As a member of the United States Senate Appropriations
Committee, Senator Mary L. Landrieu, D-La., today secured more than $19
million for 12 projects in Louisiana as part of the Transportation, Housing
and Urban Development Appropriations bill. Specifically, she secured $3
million for the Bossier Parish Congestion Relief Program, which improves
existing roadways and helps develop new corridors to alleviate congestion on
Benton Road, Airline Drive and other area roadways.

"This funding will greatly aid Bossier Parish relieve traffic that has
impeded development in the area," Sen. Landrieu said. "By improving
roadways and reducing traffic, Bossier can continue to grow, improving the
quality of life for much of northwest Louisiana."

Sen. Landrieu also secured $2 million for the Center for Planning Excellence
in Baton Rouge, a non-profit organization that coordinates urban and rural
planning efforts in south Louisiana. The center focuses on assisting
hurricane-affected communities rebuild using smart growth strategies,
allowing them to grow in populations while accounting for traffic patterns
and the need for more walkable communities.

"As south Louisiana continues to recover from the 2005 hurricanes, we must
ensure that we rebuild smarter and stronger than before," Sen. Landrieu
said. "This funding will help improve transportation infrastructure in the
region while encouraging efficient economic growth."

In the bill, Sen. Landrieu secured $400,000 for the America's Wetland
Discovery Center in Lake Charles, which will increase public awareness of
the national importance of sustainable wetlands conservation, preservation
and restoration.

"Louisiana's wetlands are rich in beauty and culture," Sen. Landrieu said,
"but they also provide critical protection from storm surges during future
hurricanes. This funding will help establish a wetlands center that will
educate all ages on the importance of conserving and restoring wetlands that
keep south Louisiana safe."

In St. Tammany Parish, Sen. Landrieu secured $3 million to improve safety,
capacity and aesthetics along the US-11 corridor between the Lake
Pontchartrain Bridge and the area just north of I-12 in Slidell.

"Louisiana provides the economic backbone and energy infrastructure for the
rest of the country," Sen. Landrieu said. "It is essential for our highways
to be safe and efficient to protect those who rely on the system to deliver
products, commune to work and bring our children to school."

Sen. Landrieu also secured funding for the following projects:

* $400,000 for the Acadiana Outreach Center: Smart Growth Mixed-Income
Housing Development in Lafayette;
* $1 million for a runway extension at Alexandria International
Airport;
* $1 million for Baton Rouge Riverfront development and a levee
pedestrian and bike path;
* $1 million for Interstate 49 North;
* $4 million for Interstate 69;
* $2 million for the Interstate 10 Service Road Corridor in Lake
Charles;
* $1 million for the Lafayette Multimodal Facility; and
* $400,000 for the Robinson Film Center.

- 30 -