[StBernard] opinion poll phone call

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Jul 19 19:46:21 EDT 2007

What you experienced is called a "push" poll. It's purpose is NOT to find
out what or how voters truly feel, but to learn by your reaction to the
questions if there is an "angle" (campaign attack issue) that could be
effective.

Just ask any experienced, professional pollster and they will tell you this.
Over the years I've written (the questions) and administered countless polls
for umpteen candidates. However, it was (and still is) my personal policy
not to perform push polls - I don't believe in them, nor do I believe you
ever really get anything out of them that ends up producing the effective
results you hoped for.

Furthermore, I've only worked with John Grimm of Multi-Quest International
in Metairie, who many consider to be the best pollster in the country, and
he too refuses to do push polls - most ethical pollsters don't.

Also, a "real" poll will NEVER ask you any part of your name - in that
industry it's considered to be taboo. So, if they asked you for your name,
they most likely know it already but were checking to see if you'd actually
answer. It's all too quick and easy for them to match your phone number
against the voter roll list they have.

And don't forget, a "real" poll will always identify itself saying WHO they
are, WHERE they are calling from and the person will at least tell you
his/her first NAME.

Be on your guard - don't be afraid to ask questions back.

John Scurich