[StBernard] Governor Blanco releases veto message for SB 223

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Jul 19 19:53:49 EDT 2007

As an aside to this, when we got up here to the Birmingham AL area, my car
insurance premium with GEICO came due. I called the number for them to
advise of my temporary location change. The GEICO rep made note of the
change of address and said they would adjust the policy and send my
insurance cards, etc. up here.

The six months premium was about half of what I was paying in Louisiana. It
has remained consistently lower since then.

When renewing this last time I called GEICO to ask why the drastic
difference since both metro areas are approximately the same size at 1
million plus for the population. The rep said that they experienced a
higher degree of insurance fraud in Louisiana compared to Alabama. I
thought about that and the large number of lawyer churned out from LSU,
Loyola, Tulane and Southern and immediately understood. LOL!

Perhaps the state could crack down on that and drivers would see a reduction
in insurance premiums. Also, I drive an SUV and because I drive a large
vehicle I carry more than the state-required amounts on my car insurance.

Jim