[StBernard] Calm before the storm<br>

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Aug 22 23:39:09 EDT 2007

"I sit in my new home and community and continue to read these posts...why?
because in my heart I LOVE St. Bernard Parish and its people and I
truly worry about the future of all of those who have returned. I
have chosen not to return because of the fear of going through the
trauma again. I pray that all who have returned prepare to leave when
necessary and not try to be heroes. Keep lots of insurance and take
all that you value with you. But DON"T try to be strong and stay if
there is a threat. God Bless."

**Perhaps there is no greater love than those who have loved their
"motherland" and remains as such. Throughout history, countless numbers of
emigrants have left their motherland whether it be by invasion, natural
disasters or otherwise.

Being forced from one's love is quite an undertaking. All they have is
memories of the sights, sounds and smells of their homeland.

Katrina was one of the cruelest "invaders" from an historical perspective.
Great Memories of the past are emblazoned in one's consciousness as pictures
and personal items were destroyed. Those memories are shared by one's
children and families who lost similarly and simultaneously. It took similar
bravery to make the ultimate decision where to land one's roots as it did to
return. (some needed to do so out of financial woes and had little choice in
the matter where to go--that decision was predetermined by the wrath
experienced. Others made a choice believing things would be the same. It
never shall be. One only needs a starting point to arrive at a finishing
one). Still, it makes a determined victim to at least attempt to do so to
get a little bit of the good times they shared once with family and friends.
We wish it were not so.

Concerning "prepared to leave when necessary" -- some will leave at a later
date (probably disillusioned in believing they can pick up where they left
off--it won't happen in their lifetime as the community has been altered
eternally by an act of God this time). Others will find they need to at
least experience and fulfill their lives and return back to their homeland
as time goes by.

I can remember Ponchartrain Beach through memories as it is no more since
1983. At the time, I didn't realize the impact the good times left until it
was no longer. The sights and smells of food and music were the happy times
of my youth.

Many times I dream about both my now demolished home, wrecked by water and
flood surge. In those dreams, it varies as to whether the home is intact and
questions my reasoning as to why it still stands. The dream lies to me
incessantly attempting to trick me into believing I'm back, all is fine and
nothing happened.

Lots of dreams happen this way. We refuse to believe the truth and
substitute blatant untruths to sooth our misery. This fosters post-traumatic
stress because we most desperately have a need to be safe and uninterrupted
in life by a disaster.

Therefore, our future must be filled with truths, yet like those memories of
da Beach, we love and choose to enshrine good things we experienced in life,
even if they are merely thoughts which warm our hearts for the duration of
time for us.

--jer--