[StBernard] The Relunctant Politician

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Aug 23 22:20:33 EDT 2007

Westley,

I am so happy to hear you are going to run for the Lafourche Parish Council
and try to make a difference there. In my years as assistant to then State
Rep. Benny Rousselle, part of the house district covered Lafourche. Benny
and I used to laugh about how people and St. Bernard and Plaquemines thought
their politics was factionalized, but neither parish held a candle to the
fragmented politics of Lafourche. We actually had local elected officials
approach us about a bill that would allow Lafourche to separate into two
parishes, north and south - that's how bad is was...or still is.

Anyway, best of luck to you Westley. Maybe this is a good time to let you
and everyone else know I've been approached by a few people over the past
week to run for the St. Bernard Parish Council "West" At-Large seat.
According to what I'm told there's no one out there who is seriously
considering the seat, let alone commit to running for it.

I am interested in the position and have no doubt I would do service to it,
but I need more time to figure out how I can run my business while making
the necessary commitment to the position. Basically, I'm a one man show in
my business and I'm not so sure my clients will be understanding should
governmental duties get in the way - and I know holding such an office
requires a tremendous amount of time - particulary in the even number years
when the West At-Large Councilman serves as Council Chairman.

I gladly welcome input and feedback from everyone about my running for the
office.

Thanks,

John Scurich