[StBernard] Clerk of Court follow up

Westley Annis westley at devacaps.com
Sun Sep 2 17:59:22 EDT 2007

Laurie,

A lot of people don't truly know what goes on at the Clerk's office unless
you deal with them on a continuous basis. After the storm, it became
apparent just how important it is to "computerize" our records. Obviously,
the records cannot be relocated quickly; therefore, electronically
duplicating these records would preserve them. As for why Ms. Lena wouldn't
accept fax filing, her excuse to me was that she felt that if she accepted a
fax filed pleading and then didn't receive the proper filing fee, she would
still be forced to record the pleading and not be compensated (it was all
about the money). That is not correct. The statute that was enacted
prevented that type of behavior. The statute provides that the filing fee
associated with the fax filing must be received within 5 days. If the fee
is not received, then the faxed pleading would become moot. It is mandated
by the state and she is in violation of the law. The Clerk's office does
have a fax machine, however,
when you try faxing something to the Clerk's office, it seem to always be
"broken" or "out of paper" etc. I guess that was her way of getting around
the statute. BUT, I must say, she has been accepting fax filing for the
last 3 or 4 weeks now. Hummm?

Wendy