[StBernard] Jindal says Craig should resign but not Vitter?

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Sep 2 18:02:55 EDT 2007

Jer, I concur and well said.

- John Scurich

-----Original Message-----
John, I am in agreement with your logic.

As a Catholic, my faith teaches venial sin (in more modern times "lesser
sin") and mortal sin ("greater sin) have a lineal line of bad to worse.

These sins seem (as you've spoken), to parallel the sins of our governed
laws of man, dealing from naughty to murder. The crimes also have (or should
be) reflected the degree of punishment to the crime. Somehow, in modern
times murder has gotten to be a crime that's "forgivable" in but a few short
years where at one time one literally got the ax/guillotine, electric chair,
firing squad, etc.

In some religions, some committing an act of infidelity received a good
"stoning" (and I don't mean accusers and the people got the accused
high)<G>).

During a period of time, God's laws (thought archaic and received cruel and
unusual punishment) got less attention as models for our community/national
laws. (in some countries, removal of hands is common for theft may seem
brutal, but quite appropriate as a deterrent to criminal activity).

Back to infidelity. Infidelity has become as common place to those who
embrace the "fine art of adultery" as if it's some sort of normalcy in our
society where participants are either cheered as virile or as a champion
with "gun-belt notches mentality". The sensitivity reduction is magnified by
one's indiscretion (bragging, pedestal upraising, etc.).

What's happened to "Just Say No!"?? Is divorce favorable to infidelity? All
are moral decisions, and to many cultures are despicable or never discussed
outside the marriage.

One can say/argue that infidelity in a heterosexual relationship is "more
tolerated" than caught in a homosexual tryst. In the case of Senator Craig,
he's been chastised by his own party as well as by the liberal party/media.
For the reason of the conservatives, it's not only an embarrassment to his
party but a negative they can hardly endure for any lengthy period of time.
For the liberals, it's how many we can remove from office to upset the
"delicate balance" of a majority whereas the Senate (and in the Congress
equally) continues to maintain a liberal majority.

Therefore, if it makes news negatively to benefit one party or the other -
there is going to be a outcry in political circles as well as in the public
realm. Even a morsel of scandal (venial sin) can be escalated by attitudes
of "if you dig into the life/past of a public official, you will surely find
dirt on your shovel" --jer, 2007.

The degree of sin moreover, is how tolerable an act is embraced by any
individual who witnesses what surely must be shameful--to he/she who have
any degree of moral conscience.

-=-Jer-=-