[StBernard] Jindal says Craig should resign but not Vitter?

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Sep 4 23:15:55 EDT 2007

John,

Thanks for the reply.

The response you pasted in is exactly what drives me crazy about the right.
It's a generalization. I don't think you truly believe that all who don't
vote Republican (I won't say who vote Democratic) are not bound by or
believe in decency or a certain moral code, whether it is Judeo-Christian, a
personal code or whatever. Remember, there are those on the right who do
not believe Roman Catholics are truly Christians

And, it's the fact that when those who do make those types of statements
fail, it's downright funny; at least to me.

Poor Vitter. Had he been in Nevada at the time of his indiscretion, he'd
have probably been at the Mustang ranch and run the possibility of being
filmed by HBO for The Cathouse or whatever that tv show is that airs on HBO.

Regards,
Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the link to the Free Republic. I found it to be an
interesting
read - particulary the posted comments in response. A lot of people
who
posted comments are clueless, but among the many perhaps the one I
pasted
below was the best, even though it was brief. One poster said...

"We're all hypocrites because all of us fall short and sin at times.
We
freely admit it. What makes us different from the Left is we do not
deny the
necessity of living up to the standards we proclaim for ourselves
and demand
others follow."

This guy (or gal) hits the nail on the head - and it sort of
responds to
your comment about how those we elect to protect us have problems
practicing
what they preach.

I believe the point this poster is making is we are separated into
two
groups, those who don't believe in a higher moral or principle to
adhere to
so they don't even bother trying (or practicing), and those who
adhere to a
higher moral but sometimes fail in trying to practice it. More
importantly,
we should all be in the latter group.

A spouse might fall to temptation and have an affair, but that same
person
might sincerely still believe in the sanctity of marriage. Sure, the
given
act might be hypocracy, but as long as the individual realizes it's
wrong
and doesn't want to see the standard or moral lowered to accommodate
his/her
wrongful act, then that person can still continue to preach what it
right.

I agree that some sort of example needs to be demonstrated by that
person
(or sinner) to show refrain from repeating the same sin again, but I
think
you see what I'm getting at.

Hell, I rarely drive below 70 mph on the interstate, but I would
never agree
to raise the speed limit to accommodate "my" driving. (don't worry,
I'm not
a maniac on the road :-) ) So, I do preach safe driving even though
my foot
tends to get heavy when I'm behind the wheel.

Yes, I was trying to inject a little humor to Vitter's situation had
been in
Reno or Vegas - after all, what happens there stays there, right?

John