[StBernard] BIG "I" Applauds House Committee For Reviewing NaturalDisaster Legislation

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sat Sep 8 21:54:03 EDT 2007

Well, it's about time. A while back I sent email letters to our
Congressional delegation proposing the creation of the N.C.I.P. - the
National Catastrophic Insurance Program, which would serve as a close cousin
to the N.F.I.P. (National Flood Insurance Program), and to let it be
administered by FEMA. All other failures aside, FEMA NFIP office runs a
pretty good ship and for the most part the program works.

As I explained to our members of Congress, implementation of such a program
would drastically cut the price of homeowners insurance since that area of
risk would be taken off the insurance industry's shoulders. Basically, all
you would be acquiring from your insurance carrier is insurance for fire,
tornado, and destruction from a hurricane where there were no flood waters.
This would encourage insurance providers to remain in Louisiana - and
breathe a sigh of relief.

So, as the homeowner, you would pay a few hundred dollars a year for the
policy, yet your homeowners premiums could be cut by thousands.

This program could also be extended to anyone living in natural disaster
prone areas, like California (earthquakes) and blizzard prone area up north.

John Scurich