[StBernard] Sheriff's Race

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Sep 10 21:29:50 EDT 2007

To whom it may concern and Laurie.

I'm not implying that he's not telling the truth, I'm merely stating the
titles he's boasting about are everyday job duties of the average Patrolman
or Peace Officer with a real badge and arrest powers.. Anyone with shooting
skills and a badge can get qualified as a firearm's instructor through the
Louisiana Post Academy, the requirements are just as stringent as the
National Academy in Virginia. As for the Easterling girl on television and
his brief appearance, I could be mistaken, but I think he was there only to
secure and catalog the evidence gathered by the actual Case Officer (s). I
will give him credit for going through the National Academy, he deserves it,
it's not easy.

I'm not trying to bad mouth Mr. Bernadas, I'm merely stating that his
twenty two or three years in Law Enforcement will not go unrecognized. But
there are hundreds of policemen on the streets with the same or better
qualifications that he is boasting about. They on the other hand have
obtained most of their knowledge on the street living the job, not in a
classroom and are not on the October 20th Ballot. As is the case for Mr.
Maitre, Mr. Arnold and the incumbent, Sheriff Stephens. Mr. Landry does have
some basic knowledge of Law Enforcement in his prior Elected Office as
Justice of the Peace. Just because someone looks good on paper doesn't
necessarily make them the right person for the job.

Sure you can say that Jack Stephens never had any experience in Law
Enforcement when he was elected. But this man has been through the thick of
it and inquired an incredible amount of knowledge and -alls in the field of
Law Enforcement. On the job training in the field, this again cannot be
taught in the classroom. He kept the Sheriff's Dept. going after Katrina
unlike the debacle in New Orleans. For the first seven days there was no
help. For Christ sake the Royal Canadian Mounted Police beat the Damn
National Guard here.
I don't know Mr. Bernadas personally and it is not my intention to talk ill
of him either. I don't know if he was required to stay for the storm or took
care of his family and got them to safety. I wish him and his family well
and hope they weathered the storm unharmed. It was a terrible ordeal for
all.

However, Don't Boast or Brag about your wall Documents, Academy Diplomas or
your Dinky Buttons, because I'm not impressed, been there done that. Tell me
about your hands on experience, your life on the street as a Field Agent.
Your best Felony Arrest and Conviction. Not one you assisted in. Tell me
what really qualifies you to be Sheriff of St. Bernard. St. Bernard Parish
has come along way since the storm and still has a long way to go. But to
question the Law Enforcement since the storm and prior, provided by Sheriff
Stephens administration is unmentionable, these Candidates aren't even in
the same ballpark.

How many Murders do you hear of or Heinous crimes against persons. How many
Armed Robberies or Home invasions, you don't, because it doesn't happen in
St. Bernard Parish. This is the safest Parish in the Metro Area
statistically and that can be directly attributed to the job that Sheriff
Jack Stephens has done.

Don't worry you won't offend me, I'm a big boy, I can take criticism and I
expect it after this.

JDR