[StBernard] Iraq Update from Rep. Richard H. Baker

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Sep 10 21:30:18 EDT 2007

The News from Congressman Richard H. Baker

Sixth District, Louisiana

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: September 10, 2007

For more information on the Iraq Update, please visit the Special Features section on www.baker.house.gov <http://www.baker.house.gov/>

Congressman Baker responds to Petraeus and Crocker testimony on the situation in Iraq

WASHINGTON – Rep. Richard H. Baker, R-Baton Rouge, issued the following statement today in response to the update given by General David Petraeus and Ambassador Ryan Crocker on the military and political situation in Iraq.

“As the top U.S. military officer on the ground, General Petraeus is the most credible and knowledgeable voice on the state of affairs in Iraq . I am encouraged by his assessment of our military’s progress—the number of Iraqi security forces are growing; the overall number of security incidents in Iraq has declined in 8 of the past 12 weeks; and Al-Qaeda strongholds and Iranian and Hezbollah-backed Shia insurgent forces are being weakened. Americans have repeatedly voiced their overwhelming confidence in our military commanders who are on the ground, and I will continue to put my trust in these officers as well.

“I am disappointed in the lack of progress toward political reconciliation by the Iraqi government. Ambassador Crocker’s assessment is a blunt reminder of the challenges the Iraqi people face in building a nation. It is also a vivid description of the conditions under which our troops have performed honorably, admirably and with great success.

“The consequences of failing to stabilize Iraq would be monumental, not only for the future of that country and region, but for the future of American security. Our men and women in uniform have sacrificed and continue to sacrifice much for this cause, and my thoughts and prayers are with them everyday. These brave individuals and their families have shouldered a very heavy burden, and this nation is grateful to them. I pledge my support to our soldiers and their families, and I will work to provide all the resources needed to complete the mission.”