[StBernard] Holy Cross, Chalmette renew rivalry tonight at Bobby Nuss Stadium

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Sep 14 18:30:17 EDT 2007

FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS
Holy Cross, Chalmette renew rivalry tonight at Bobby Nuss Stadium
Friday, September 14, 2007
By Andrew Lopez
Staff writer

There was a time when only a little more than 5 miles separated Holy Cross
and Chalmette high schools. It was a rivalry that started long before all of
the players on the current teams were even born.

Now with Holy Cross leaving it's Lower 9th Ward campus for the Gentilly
area, will the Tigers' return to Bobby Nuss Stadium on Friday night mean as
much as it has in years past?

Both coaches, Jason Tucker of Chalmette and Barry Wilson of Holy Cross,
agree that the rivalry exists now, but might not for much longer.

"For the next couple years at least, because there are still a lot of their
(Holy Cross') kids who live in St. Bernard," Tucker said.

"It will be for a while as long as the Chalmette kids are still here. It's
still a mixture," Wilson said. "I would say about 70 percent of the team has
some kind of ties to Chalmette, and as long as that's going on the rivalry
will be there."

One of the players who has ties to Chalmette for Holy Cross is senior wide
receiver Kal Bonura, who has three touchdown catches and more than 150 yards
in the first two games. He is from Chalmette, and his father, Kenny, teaches
at Chalmette.

"He keeps his feelings neutral," Kal said.

Bonura pointed out that although he did have the opportunity to play in
Bobby Nuss Stadium in 2004, which was the last time Holy Cross and Chalmette
played "in the parish," he has never played there on a Friday night.

"Even then, the game was postponed by a hurricane (Ivan) and the game was
played on a Sunday," he said. "So this is my first time playing there on a
Friday night. It's pretty exciting."

Holy Cross senior quarterback Chris Brady also points out that the game will
be a bit of a homecoming for the Tigers.

"I think it means a lot, but it makes us feel like we are back at home, back
in the Lower 9th Ward," he said.

Last year's game was played at Salmen, which Holy Cross won 38-0, and both
coaches realize the importance of returning to play the game in Chalmette.

"I look forward to it, and the people do, too. Every one looks forward to
Friday night football," Wilson said. "And to do it in Chalmette makes it
that much more special."

"I think it's great for the community and for both teams," Tucker said. "It
definitely brings atmosphere the game has meant for so long."

Tucker, a 1993 graduate of Chalmette, played in the rivalry and pointed out
how big the game is for everyone in St. Bernard Parish.

"It's the game that really defined your career. One of the first questions
you ask is 'How you did against Holy Cross?' " he said. "Before they ask if
you won district, before they ask what your record is, they ask how you did
against Holy Cross."

Chalmette will face a step up in competition after defeating McDonogh
(36-22) and Douglass (32-18). "It will definitely be a challenge," Tucker
said. "They are better than the two teams we have played already."

Owls senior running back Blair Rodriguez has rushed for 197 yards and four
touchdowns. He also had an 80-yard kickoff return against Douglass.

"He's one of the keys," Tucker said. "But the game is going to be won along
the offensive and defensive lines."

Holy Cross will be facing their third consecutive Class 5A opponent after
defeating Slidell 28-21 and Brother Martin 28-14 in the first two weeks. The
Tigers were led by Brady, who leads the metro area with seven touchdown
passes.

"His play has been spectacular. He is doing what we ask him to do, and
that's managing the football game," Wilson said. "As long as he executes,
he's going to be a good player. He can play on the next level."

"I've worked hard, but it's still a team effort. We started looking like a
team," Brady said. "It made me play better and the team play better."

Tucker said that Brady does a great job of finding his spots even when his
receivers aren't open.

"We can't make any mistakes and have an understanding that they will do a
lot of trick plays," Wilson said. "They are trying all kind of things on
people."

"But, we need to play our game. I have control over us. I have no control
over Chalmette."

Andrew Lopez can be reached at alopez at timespicayune.com or (504) 826-3405.