[StBernard] Bought-out lots in La. face uncertain future

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sat Sep 22 21:54:20 EDT 2007

Well Jerry,

Every time I see an article on nola.com about how Blanko is going to go to
DC with the LRA honchos to beg for more money I just grit my teeth. Had
they set up the program correctly, *not* allowing wind damages to be
claimed, as it properly should have been done, the money would have gone
further. It does seem that there were discrepancies in the numbers that
FEMA calculated, but the state did nothing to help itself in this situation.

Now I see the LRA is wanting to push people to get the first appt. done.
I'm more than willing to bring my 82 year old mother down for that, but it
will take 2 days to get there. She probably can't ride more than 3 or 3 1/2
hrs from B'ham to get there. So, we'll have to spend the night on the road,
then make the appt and spend the night again in nola before trying to head
back to B'ham.

We are not back in the parish yet because of her health conditions; she's
been hospitalized 3 times up here. Tried working with FEMA to get something
other than a travel trailer since she uses a walker, wheelchair and walking
stick and I'd also need a bedroom. No luck; just a bunch of runaround.

Then, the parish decided no more trailers. Seemed like the only rentals
(and where do we stay until getting furniture for an apt.?) people didn't
like dogs or smokers. The 82 year old smokes and at that age I'm not
stopping her. I smoke too. The dog was her companion ever since my Dad
died. Ain't goin' nowhere w/out the doxie.

My mom asks me about when we can go home. I'm about to go ahead and tell
her we can go for a visit to do the Road Home thing (useless since they have
no more $$$s) but we'll have to come back here and live. We'll change her
option to "selling to the state"; she won't be penalized since she's past
65. But as I said, like she's going to see anything from it. The most
difficult part will be telling her she's not going back for good until I
take her to bury her.

Jim

P.S. AL is way to red for me, but you'd love it here Jerry! ;-)