[StBernard] La. Republicans rapped for vote against health plan

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Sep 27 21:27:54 EDT 2007

La. Republicans rapped for vote against health plan
By GERARD SHIELDS
Advocate Washington bureau
Published: Sep 27, 2007 - Page: 18A

WASHINGTON - Louisiana child health-care advocates on Wednesday criticized
Louisiana House Republicans for voting against expansion of a federal
children's health insurance program.

The U.S. House of Representatives passed the State Children's Health
Insurance Program by a vote of 265-159 late Tuesday, voting mostly along
party lines. Likewise, four Louisiana Republicans voted against the $35
billion in additional funds to cover 3 million more uninsured children in
the country.

Louisiana covers about 110,000 children through the program and a federal
expansion would add an additional 10,000 Louisiana children to the rolls.
The program would cover children who are considered low-income but not poor
enough to qualify for Medicaid.

Sandra Adams, executive director of the Louisiana Maternal and Child Health
Coalition, expressed disappointment by the votes of Republican House members
of the Louisiana delegation.

"Children do not choose who their parents are," Adams said. "It's
unconscionable in my opinion to be voting a party line and leaving children
uncovered."

The only Louisiana Republican not opposing the measure was U.S. Rep. Bobby
Jindal, R-Kenner, who was absent for the vote. Jindal, who is running for
governor, was in Louisiana but released a statement supporting an increase
in SCHIP funding and an extension of the program if necessary.

U.S. Rep. Richard Baker, R-Baton Rouge, said that the children's insurance
issue is just one part of the nation's health-care needs. Trying to address
the matter without taking other parts of the health-care puzzle into account
would be detrimental, Baker said.

"It's difficult to vote on a matter of this sort because you'll be portrayed
as not caring for the afflicted," Baker said. "But it's not responsible
government given the financial liability of all the various programs."

Dr. Steve Spedale is a pediatrician who specializes in premature births.
Spedale also operates a Web Site, www.lakidsaccess.org, that tries to ensure
that Louisiana children get health benefits available to them.

Spedale said 68 percent of all children born in Louisiana are covered by
Medicaid.

"For our state, SCHIP and the continuation of the program is just critical,"
Spedale said.

Republicans have criticized the expansion, saying that it will result in
more people joining the program instead of obtaining available private
insurance.

U.S. Rep. Charles Boustany, R-Lafayette, is a retired vascular surgeon who
has made health care a key plank to his agenda. About 90,000 Louisiana
children are already uninsured and should first be considered before any
expansion, Boustany said.

"We have to really be accountable on how we provide this coverage, that it
provides access and not just coverage on paper," he said.

Find this article at:
http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/politics/10060096.html?showAll=y&c=y