[StBernard] [LANDRIEU] Senate Calls for New Priorities in War on Terror

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sat Sep 29 10:07:48 EDT 2007

Senate Calls for New Priorities in Global War on Terror
Unanimously passes Landrieu amendment to reset focus on capture or killing
of Osama bin Laden.

WASHINGTON - The United States Senate last night unanimously approved a
measure by Senator Mary L. Landrieu, D-La., to reprioritize U.S. efforts in
the Global War on Terror. The approach was cosponsored by Senators Byron L.
Dorgan, D-N.D., and Kent Conrad, D-N.D.

The Landrieu amendment to H.R. 1585, the Defense Authorization Bill, states
that "it should be the policy of the United States Government that the
foremost objective of United States counterterrorist operations is to
protect United States persons and property from terrorist attacks by
capturing or killing Osama bin Laden, Ayman al-Zawahiri and other leaders of
al Qaeda and destroying the al Qaeda network."

"The unanimous passage of this amendment represents an important new policy
direction for the Senate's continued debate over how to protect our homeland
and fight international terrorism," Sen. Landrieu said.

"The Senate has for the first time recognized that the primary front in the
War on Terror is wherever Osama bin Laden and his top lieutenants are
operating and hiding - and they are not holed up in downtown Baghdad. When
al Qaeda attacks U.S. personnel in Iraq, we must strike back and strike
hard. But a fish rots from the head, and we've spent too much time chasing
the tail."

"Now we must be prepared to win this battle," she added. "We must commit to
providing our skilled men and women in combat the clear mission and full
resources they need to focus their fight at the top, where it belongs."

According to the July 2007 National Intelligence Estimate prepared by U.S.
intelligence agencies, "Al-Qa'ida is and will remain the most serious
terrorist threat to the Homeland, as its central leadership continues to
plan high-impact plots." This finding was reinforced by a strategic survey
released on September 12 by the nonpartisan International Institute for
Strategic Studies (IISS).

"The United States and its allies have failed to deal a deathblow to al
Qaeda," the report said, noting that "there is increasing evidence that
'core' al Qaeda is proving adaptable and resilient, and has retained an
ability to plan and coordinate large-scale attacks in the Western world."

"The main orchestrators of the horrific 9/11 attacks remain at large, alive
and well, plotting their next major attack," Sen. Landrieu said today.
"This amendment is a key step toward focusing our fight where it needs to be
- less on policing a civil war and more on destroying those who continue to
pose the greatest threat to the United States."

The media propaganda arm of the al Qaeda terrorist network, as-Sahab,
released in the last few weeks a series of recent video and audio recordings
of bin Laden. Intelligence officials believe the messages, released to
coincide with the anniversary of the September 11th attacks, are authentic
and that bin Laden remains in hiding near the Afghanistan-Pakistan border.

Earlier this month, Sen. Landrieu requested a detailed briefing from the
National Counterterrorism Center (NCTC) regarding the latest bin
Laden-related intelligence and U.S. operations to capture or kill him. The
briefing is in the process of being coordinated and scheduled.

- 30 -