[StBernard] Socialized Medicine's Front Door

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sat Sep 29 20:17:22 EDT 2007

Westley,

Not to be too nosy but are you covered by your wife's plan through the
schools?

One of the problems with group medical policies (at least with the Feds)
was that you had a choice of self-only or family. Knew a bunch of DINKS
(double-income, no kids) who ended up covering themselves and spouses on 2
individual plans because of this situation. There wasn't a choice of self
and 1 or anything. So if it was you and spouse you paid the same premiums
as self, wife and 6 kids. Just didn't make any sense.

Jim

How many people choose not to have health insurance because it
doesn't make
economic sense?

Twelve years ago I dropped the health insurance for myself and my
daughter
because it didn't make sense financially. The monthly premium was
around
$300 plus I had a $500 out-of-pocket deductible before they pay even
one
cent.

I had to laugh when discussing this over the phone with the
insurance hag
from Chicago over the phone. She was a "professional" in the
business for
years and had never seen an insurance policy that was any different.

I told her in my limited ten years of work experience, I had never
seen
anything so lopsided as what she was selling.

Needless to say, I cancelled that policy once I found out how much
it
wouldn't cover. It was far cheaper to just pay the doctor bills
myself.

Westley