[StBernard] Louisiana Gubernatorial Debate In Shreveport Gets Jindal Out of Rose Garden

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Oct 4 21:58:47 EDT 2007

Louisiana Gubernatorial Debate In Shreveport Gets Jindal Out of Rose Garden

Written by: Jeff Crouere

Tonight, the major candidates for Governor will participate in a debate in
Shreveport that will be televised in Northwest Louisiana. It is the second
of three TV debates featuring the top 4 candidates for Governor.
Unfortunately, only viewers in that area of the state will be able to watch.
This means that voters across Louisiana will only have two opportunities to
watch the candidates in action during this important campaign and the first
one was televised on public television, which had only a limited viewing
audience.

Only the final debate, held on Thursday October 18 will have a large
audience. This will be broadcast by WWL-TV in New Orleans and other CBS
affiliates across the state. Yet, this debate is so late in the election
process that it will have limited impact on the election.

In the most important election in our history, such a restricted debate
schedule is an outrage. Why have there been so few debates which will have
such a limited influence on the election? Sadly, it is the strategy of the
Jindal campaign to limit interaction with his opponents. It is the typical
frontrunner strategy to avoid opportunities for mistakes. Yet, this tactic
shortchanges the people of Louisiana who deserve much better.

This "Rose Garden" strategy is exactly the opposite of what Jindal did four
years ago. In that election, Jindal was accessible to the voters and the
media and appeared on many radio and television programs. He participated in
numerous debates and engaged his opponents.

This election cycle voters see a much different candidate. One who is
sheltered by consultants and offers voters a very limited view of his
candidacy. Jindal is basically tying to "run out the clock" and win this
election in the first primary. Yet, his strategy is backfiring and it is
costing him support. There is a chance that the election will be pushed into
a run-off and then Jindal will have to debate his runoff opponent much more
often.

There has never been a more important election for Louisiana. We are at a
crucial crossroads in our state. Our problems have been mounting during the
Blanco administration and deficiencies in leadership have cost Louisiana
business opportunities, and contributed to our declining population. We
continue to be rocked by political scandals which have embarrassed our state
and sent leading politicians to jail.

Clearly we need to move in a new direction, but the stakes are high and the
issues are very important. How do these top four candidates differ on the
major issues? Over the next few weeks, the voters will see slick commercials
focusing on attacks and spin, but we will not be treated to a hearty
exchange about the future of the state.

Polls show Jindal comfortably ahead and within striking distance of winning
the race in the primary election. If he does prevail, hopefully he will
become more responsive in the Governor's mansion. If not, the next four
years will be long ones for those of us who cover politics in Louisiana.

Jeff Crouere is a native of New Orleans, LA and he is the host of a
Louisiana based program, "Ringside Politics," which airs at 8:30 p.m. Fri.
and 10:00 p.m. Sun. on WLAE-TV 32, a PBS station, and 5 till 9 a.m. weekdays
on WGSO 990 AM in New Orleans and the Northshore. For more information,
visit his web site at www.ringsidepolitics.com. E-mail him at
jeff at ringsidepolitics.com.