[StBernard] [LANDRIEU] Correction

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Oct 22 22:32:39 EDT 2007

October 22, 2007

Dear Friends,

In recent days, you may have received an email or read online claims
suggesting that I support taxing Internet access and usage. This is simply
not true.

The current moratorium on Internet taxation - a measure I supported - is set
to expire on November 1st, and the House of Representatives has passed a
four-year extension of it. I expect a similar measure will come to a vote
in the Senate and allow us to keep the Internet free of access taxes well
past next week's deadline.

Partisan operatives in Washington, however, are hoping to prey on Americans'
unfamiliarity with Senate procedure in an attempt to distort my record and
my position.

Last Thursday evening, Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky
asked the Senate to consider S. 2128, a bill to make permanent the current
Internet tax moratorium. Through a vibrant floor debate, I believe we can
reach common ground on this issue and I do not object personally to the
Senate considering this bill.

At the time of Senator McConnell's request, I was on the Senate floor in a
fight to save funding for an important children's mental health program in
Louisiana. I am proud to say that fight was successful. But my holding the
floor also meant I had a procedural duty to voice the objections to the
Internet tax bill of a colleague not on the floor. The Congressional Record
reflects that I objected on behalf of Senator Tom Carper of Delaware.

Let me be clear: I do not object to this legislation coming to the floor for
consideration. I have consistently supported extensions to the Internet tax
ban, and will continue to do so. In fact, I believe a five- or ten-year
extension may be more appropriate than the four-year plan passed by the
House. But in a policy area so affected by rapidly changing technologies,
Congress should review its Internet policies at least once a decade. A
permanent ban does not ensure Congress makes an effort to keep in step with
technological advancements.

Today's Internet should not be taxed, and I will keep fighting to make sure
it isn't. I will also continue my fight to dramatically reduce the estate
tax and to provide much-needed middle class tax relief. I will not allow
petty partisan attacks and untruths to deter me from this effort. These
distortions simply distract from the important work at hand.

In congratulating Governor-elect Bobby Jindal on his victory this weekend, I
observed that we may campaign as Democrats and Republicans, but our highest
responsibility is to serve as Louisianians. When we speak with one strong
voice, we greatly enhance our chances for success in championing our state
and her interests.

With warmest regards to you and your families, I remain

Sincerely,

Mary L. Landrieu
United States
Senator