[StBernard] Landrieu Statement on Eddie Jordan Resignation

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Oct 31 18:49:47 EDT 2007

"Too bad they didn't ask Sen. Landrieu yesterday if she thought Eddie Jordan
should resign. I can't help but wonder if her answer would have been
supportive of his staying. I guess it's always easier to agree with a play
call after it's been run successfully. --John Scurich "

Jer: A major problem I have in understanding is who is going to replace "da
dude":

"Landrum-Johnson and Williams together won a conviction in the 2004 trial of
Dwight Patterson, who was charged with first-degree murder in the 2002
shooting of New Orleans police officer Christopher Russell. Jurors
recommended that Patterson spend the rest of his life behind bars."
--Nola.com

Although she's been hand-picked as interim, one has to better understand
"standards and ethics" in the prosecutorial process as well as the jurist
process. Why is it that some cultures actually try "hard" at easing the
degree of punishment to the crime because it would not be in the culture's
best interest to send one of their own to a harsh sentence? Life behind bars
doesn't mean/guarantee that the guilty will get to grow old or die in
prison. Let's say he gets 5-10 for murdering a cop doing his duty. Po'
thing--that much time would ruin the po' guy's life taking away his
childhood!

The grievance absolute is not aimed at the victim's family who seeks "no
justice, no peace" in their lives. We're discussing a lifetime (absolute) of
pain, misery and loss actuated by a piece ** $***.

When the murder-one dude goes through life believing he'll never see the
ultimate sentence by means of an "I" for an "I" justice, and then his
unparalleled belief system is reinforced with the justice system supporting
his hypothetical reasoning, one just has to belief that the system
(especially in the New Orleans area of failed justice, "we can't send
another po' black child to jail, because he's innocent" mentality or "as
long as he goes to da hideous jailhouse for a short term, it will satisfy
the victim's family") ultimately is broken and probably will be for decades.

Getting someone to replace him from the same "barrel of bad apples" is not
appropriate. Replacements must be able to look at the justice system from
"outside the box". They must be untarnished as much as during the
prohibition era by getting federal agent, "Untouchable" Elliot Ness into
helping clean up Chicago who has lost integrity with payoffs to bad judges,
bad cops and a bad criminal justice system. The replacement in this case
must not be perfect, but close to integrity needed to go after da bad guys
with a vengeance for the victim's right to a day in court. He must be brave,
unwaving and dedicated to pushing for the ultimate in punishment. Not just
replacing whites in the department with blacks because "dey understand where
I'm comin' from and we share a culture that will make dis department
better!" What????

In essence, the criminal justice system is broken (some say beyond repair or
recovery). Too many rights for the wrong reasons, too many liberal
considerations of reformation and rehabilitation when we all know that
recidivism is 90% going back into the system. This tells us something. We
need to get outraged to the point that courts, judges and those that MAKE
the laws are not politically motivated rather than judges who interpret the
law actually end up making the law.

Pax Americus,

--jer--